Rant and Cry for a moment

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Toms

Reaction score
So good morning all. I've been up all night due to insomnia. I hate it, anyway. Was at my girl friend's parents house Sunday evening to enjoy a late Easter Sunday with my other family. When I went to leave around 9pm, I noticed for some odd reason I had a window that was cracked and broken up. While looking at it with a flashlight, looks to be as if some kid shot it with a BB Gun. Now my question is, how much of a pain it is going to be for me to get a replacement? I am going to call my insurance company in the AM, when they are available. But the reason, I posted this more or less is because the window that is broken, is the driver side rear window. And I don't mean the roll up one. Its the little other window on the rear door. This post had no pictures, but how hard is that going to be to get a replacement? My truck is an '04.

That sucks! Shouldn't have any problem getting a glass though. They'll just have to disassemble the door enough to get another glass in. It just sits in the rubber that goes all the way around the window opening.

That sucks Richard...

I would think getting a factory glass would be best as the tint would match correctly then.

(Or can an aftermarket company tint the new glass to match exactly?)

Dave

That does suck. A few years ago I went up north with a buddy and left my F-150 parked in his neighborhood (a suburb of the Twin Cities- I grew up in North Minneapolis and only had eggs thrown at it 1 time, nothing else). I came back and it when I looked in the rear-view mirror it looked like I had ice built up on my back topper glass. I pulled into a gas station and saw that the topper door glass was completely shattered, as well as a side glass window on the topper. I also had 3 bb marks on the door frame, front and rear panels as well. I called the police station and they asked how i knew it was a BB, well when you see a small cone divot in a panel, you can put 2 and 2 together. Those glass panels weren'te cheap, especially since the 1 side panel was a slider.:fire::smack:

It will be easy to obtain the glass..

Your deductible may be more than a used glass. I suggest getting a price from a shop for the glass and labor separately so you can see where the money lies....

BeerD,

See if you have comprehensive coverage under your insurance policy. If you do, then you probably don't have any deductible to pay on glass replacement. Take it to a reputable shop that does auto glass work. They will replace it for you. Also, the dealer should be able to estimate and do the repair, but when it comes to glass, I like to use an auto glass shop...heck, many dealers outsource to local shops anyway.

TJR

Hello all. I got some updates. I contacted my insurance company about this and they asked if I filed a report with the law. I replied, I didn't. So they gave me the number for that local PD for where it happened. I called, and got a call back around 30mins later and got my case number. Insurance wouldn't do a claim without one. They then asked if I would rather have the company come by or me go to the shop. Being I would like this fixed like right now, because they are calling for rain this week, I said I would go into the shop. The local glass dealer that is in my area is Safelite Glass Inc., and yeah they have all my information. Have been told that this piece of glass is very rare and super hard to get. It is valued at $1058.00. Safelite contacted me back and said they were unable to locate the glass for my truck. So they would try to get it from Ford.

Course my insurance with State Farm is very good and I have comprehensive and no deductible. So I am safe with this one. Safelite, told me it would take them 3-5 days to get this glass and upon so, or if earlier, they will contact me to let know when I can come get it installed. I'm hoping this works out. Yay for my luck!

$1058 for that piece of glass?!!!!

Bogus, they should be ashamed to charge that much, even though they know that insurance eats the cost and they get the extra $ (short sighted punks...)

I could have gotten my windshield replaced 3x over for that much!

I hate these little partial panels of glass, they've been on many cars that I've had, and some sadist always seems to break them.

That whole situation sucks. Vandalism is the lowest form of crime, and you know they did it for fun.:angry:

But I digress...

"Elizabeth, ah'm comin' to join yuh!!!"

Just got my glass replaced. $200 for the larger pain, and $713 for the little vent. Now time to go research a new stereo. Probably gonna be a cheapie this time.

Wow, that's just crazy high for that little glass ! ! I remember the big curved side quarter glasses on the Bronco II's were $960 (20 years ago) and THAT floored me! I guess I had better put my spare vent glass away real carefully!

All I can say is, thank goodness for good insurance. Sorry to hear and see that Ben lost your windows as well as your stereo.

I went to Safelite, because they have a window film cover to put on to keep from the elements. Well, it isn't helping much. The window has already started to fall into the truck. They only put the film on the outside of the truck, which sucks. But I will work with. I hope they get that window soon enough.

Svt... I don't have rental insurance on mine, and even if I did, I wouldn't be happy unless I was driving my Sport Trac.

BeerD,

Glad it's working for you. I wouldn't drive a car without comprehensive coverage that includes $0 glass deductible, for reasons JUST like this.

Have replaced two windshields already in my lifetime, and one rear window.

TJR

Latest posts