Rant about my water bill:

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1cntrler

Reaction score
:soap:Just moved into to a new house in April. We tested the swimming pool water and determined that it was in dire need of a change. So we proceeded to pump it and change it. I kept track of how much it took to fill it up by reading the meter, Took about 11,000 gallons. This calculates to about 14.7HCF, the unit my water company uses fro billing. Got our bill for the period and it was total usage of 38HCF. So I figure that My usage will balance out between 23-30 HCF the next period. The next period starts and an un-determined number of days into the period, the water company changes out the meter (they cannot even tell me how many days it was). My total usage for the period now shows 48HCF. No, I did not drain and refill my pool again a couple of times. I call and the only answer they keep giving me is to consume less. I have called and spoken to two different people and they repeatedly assure me that my usage is simply higher with the new meter, but it is 99% accurate. They tell me every July they get a lot of calls asking why the consumption went up, and they tell me the answer is that it is just hotter and to adjust my sprinklers. I told them that the sprinklers run the same 6 minutes per zone 3 days per week as they did in the first billing period. I want to choke someone. I think I need to go there and draw them a timeline showing then that I used 15 more HCF the first period to fill my pool, because over the phone it does not seem to to be conveying! :smack:

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had to pay that much for water, I'd drill my own well in the backyard even if it's illegal where I live.

No complaints about our $20 water bill monthly. Even watering the lawn and filling the pool for the season, its never hit $30. Sewer is $40 every 3 months. guess we have it cheap~

My water bill in my new house runs about $75 which includes, water, sewer, and weekly trash collection. At my old house it was about $50 per month for the same services?

We are having a lot of complaints about the digital Electric meters that everyone in the area is getting upgraded to for the past six months. Some people complain that their bills have jumped up dramatically...Like 2-3 times what their old bills were. Power company claims it's the heat spell. Earlier this year they were saying it was colder. I guess they have to have some excuse.

I just got my electric bill that shows a spit for the old meter and the new meter. It appears that my electric usage has increased by about 1/3rd with the new meter. To be honest the temperature has gone up a lot since the new meter was installed, so I'm guessing that the new meter is probably right

...Rich

Richard L, I recently got the digital electric meter and the new gas meter. Both bills have jumped by 1/3 for elec to 1/2 more for gas. If I was still an intrument tech. I would pull them both and bench calibrate verify them at work.I think Im being burned.

My water runs $30.82 monthly for the same services you have. That is minumum.

My water and sewage bill has almost doubled in the last two years. Not because if an increase in use, but the city I live in keeps raising the price.

I pay about 83 bucks a month for water, sewer and garbage p/u. About a year or so ago, we were on water restrictions and since we didn't use the water, we got taxed on water we didn't use.

More reason to drill my own well.

The last time I had a high water bill is when my water heater sprung a

leak. It leaked into the crawl space and soaked into the ground. For two months my bill was 90$. Discovered the leak, replaced the heater and bill went back to normal 30$....

I mentioned that I pay $43 every three months for sewer and water. The garbage and recycling pickup is billed by the provider, which is a private contractor. That's $41 for three months.

Geez, you guys and your trash pickup. Most of my state has the Pickup trash service--you put your trash in your pickup and take it to the dump yourself.

Also, I know I don't have a water meter anywhere besides the one under the service plate in the state-right-of-way, which is illegal to open.

KL,

We can take our trash to the dump if we want, but we still have to pay for trash pick up even if we don't put out any trash.. The dump is just for trash that the trucks won't pick up. Our trash collection is automated with special truck that lifts and dumps the large 90 gallon trash bin we are all issued by the city. If you need additional trash bins, they cost an additional $10 per month for each additional bin.

Eddie,

There were so many complaints about the new digital electric meters that the state contracted with a neutral test facility to test the accuracy of the new meters and found they were better than 99% acurate. The only objection I had is that they only tested meters that were provided for them by the power company. I think it would be better if they randomly selected a meter, especially from someone who had a dramatic increase in their electric bill when the new meter was installed?

My last electric bill was $103 and I suspect my next bill will be higher since the temperature here in central Texas has been over 100 degrees for the past two weeks.

...Rich

Wow... My Elec bill last month was $291.00, and I just paid this month's bill for $273.00. I do work from home now, but still... :fire:

If it came in at $103.00 I think would faint! :cry:

I have free water, but when that well pump goes, I know I will be sick, because it's a 500 ft. deep well. Last electric bill was $350.

Dave,

I probably should qualify my $103 electric bill. My home was just build in January 2010 and is only 1324 SFT. It is Energy Star rated with thermal E-glass windows, 2X6 exterior walls with R19 insulation and R-30+ in the attic. The house is equiped with a heat pump/AC with a maximum low setting of 75 degrees where it stays 24 hours per day.. I have also converted most lights to compact florecents or installed dimmers in the other locations.

I have replaced the electric range with a dual fuel range that uses propane for the cooktop and an electric convection oven, and I don't use the oven that much. I also purchased a new Bosh front-loading Washer and Dryer which is also energy star rated. The washer's estimated annual energy consumption is only $14 a year based on 8 loads per week??? (I find that hard to believe) I only do about 2 loads per week. I probably pay more for the water than I do the electicity to use the washer.

I have a 50 gallon electric hot water heater which probably eats more electricity than the rest of the electrical appliances in the house.

The big difference is probably due to the energy efficiency of the house, plus I have a plan with the power company that only charges me 10.9 cents per KWH. My old house is all electric and without anyone living there the electric bill was still $101. The water heater is still running as well as I have my upright freezer still there full of frozen foods. The AC is set to 85 degrees because it does not go any higher except to turn it off, but I still go there 3-4 times per week to get stuff and I will be doing work to get the house ready to rent and it takes too long to get the house cooled in 100+ degree heat.

I was supprised that my water bill at the old house went up by about $3-$4 per month when nobody is there to use the water. I think the back yard faucet has a drip and perhaps that is accounting for the 200+ gallons of water used last month?

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts