Ranger fuel pump

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug brandin

Reaction score
Looking to buy a 1993 Ford Ranger pick-up regular cab, lomg bed. 2.3 4cyl, automatic. Won't start. Poured gas into throttle body, starts but won't keep running. Fuel pump? How hard to change, how to determine if it is the fuel pump, and how expensive? Thanks

1st easy step, open the gas hole and listen for humming while associate turns on the ignition switch. If it hums a pressure test is in order. Maybe a bad pump or just a clogged fuel filter. No hum, possible relay or tripped inertia switch or bad pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do think the 93 does have an inertia switch.

You need to check fuses first, then, if they are good, see if the relays are getting power, if so, the next place the power goes is the inertia switch, then it goes to the fuel pump.

So, see if it has the switch to see if it has been tripped, then check for power along the way..

I believe, it's on the passenger side below the dash under the carpet next to the transmission hump.

Most are on the passengers kick panel, but I don't think so in the case of the early Ranger..

Had an issue on this with my '94 Ranger. Those inertia switches are a bugger if you don't know about them. Had one trip on me after a simple bump accident with no visible damage...

Talk about a head scratcher :)

GL to you.

Latest posts