Random Tech High flow cat with stock exhaust??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
Well, the other day i went to rev up the trac and i heard a noise that sounded like little marbles jumping around from underneath the truck. I took it in to get looked at and it turns out my cat (idk which one) has went bad and the "honeycomb" inside has fallen apart, which is the noise i hear. I'm going to need to replace the cat, and i was wondering if the high flow cat from wayne will work with the stock exhaust?? I may have to replace everything after the cat anyways, but will it work fine with just the stock muffler, etc?? I was thinking about puting a delta 40 or delta 50 muffler on and putting a pipe through the resonator with a pipe out the back which switches to dual tips like the mountaineers have... Anyone have this and can give me a price idea and where to buy???

Thanks

Andy

Just to check that if you are not aware of it there are 4 (four) cats on our ST's. :blink: Had to have all four of ours replaced last spring to the tune of $1200 which was the OEM + labor. :eek:

I personally would not go with anything less than a FM 50 SUV so that you don't pull the exhaust out to quickly which could burn a cylinder. ;)

Thanks for the input,

Is it possible to eliminate the precats? I was told that only one of them seems to have the problem, but i am not aware of which one it is..I'm going in with it next saturday to get a look and an idea of what needs to be bought.. Will the delta 50 be loud at cruise speed?

Thanks again

Andy

You can get rid of the pre cats with no side effects. That's what the y-pipe does. The hi-flow cat at this point may be problematic since there seem to be issues with our sponsor/vendor. You could just use an aftermarket hi-flow cat from any vendor like magnaflow and have it replaced at your local shop. Assuming the main cat is actually the problem. As for the resonation at cruising speed, I think you'll be pretty happy with the 50 and cat replacement.

I think the cats have a 8yr/80k mile federal mandated warrantty...check the owners manual..I could be wrong..

I appreciate all this help..What if it isnt the main cat and just a precat? Will i get a CEL? Could i just put a y pipe in there?? and then leave the stock cat if its not the main cat that is gone? and then add a delta 50 suv? Would i get a noticable performance increase ?

Fast eddie, i am at 118k...I wish it was 8 yr unlimited miles lol Thanks though!

Thank you all

Andy

The only cat you have to keep is the one directly after the pre cats. You can eliminate the first 2 (PRECATS) and the last one.

California is the only state that requires the pre-cats, TMK..Here in Texas I have had muffler shops build me a new y-pipe, for other cars. Some would prefer to do it only if the pre-cats are damaged, others dont care. All you need to buy is two 14mm thread nut for the O2 sensors. They can re-use your flanges. The cost would alot less than the random-tech y-pipe. You would still get a decent bump in HP over the pre-cat y-pipe.

Latest posts