Rancho rsx shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Sayre

Reaction score
Tires cupped badly, shocks were shot completely. Shopped around and got 4 rancho rsx shocks for the sport trac for $219 free shipping to the door. I had the rs9000's on my ranger which I loved, but couldn't justify them for the trac at this point. Hopefully these will give me a firmer ride over the stock ones. Any thoughts from those that have them?

--Bob

I've had mine on for about two months now and love the ride. I haven't heard a bad thing about the RSX from the members on here.

Fantastic. Period.

I put them on two days ago. When I would pull out of lots, from a low curb, the Trac would rock 3 or 4 times before it steadied. With these, it's off the curb, onto the road, and no body roll. On the highway (476N), which at points is rough, no longer is the feeling of lost steering when I hit a bump at 70-75. The only adjustment, which I did about ten minutes ago, was to attach the boot to the left rear shock. I must not have had it on the lip properly and it slipped off when driving. I rehooked it to the top of the shock lip, and all is good. -- And added the RSX stickers to the white tubes. :D

The ride is not rough, just firmer. The stock shocks are like riding on a boat after another passes, and you hit its wake a few times. The new ones are like you're the one making the wake.

As for effectiveness over time--I'm hoping. My stock Wranglers were cupped terribly, but I had the OEM shocks. Now, with the Bridgestones and RSXs, I am hoping for an uneventful 45,000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had mine on for 45k miles and love them. (RSX) Still rides like the day I put them on. Your OEM ones were probably shot the day you drove off the lot. (they suck bad) You will enjoy the ride now. The reason I got mine was because the constant up and down motion kept making my daughter carsick. (she'd throw up just about every time she rode in the ST) The day after I put them on, we had a 3 hour trip and no projectile vomiting.:D She's never complained since.;)

One more quick question on shocks, while we're at it. For most of us, or those

of us with the 2-wheel drive, as I have, just wanting a good improvement over

stock shocks, the Monroe(?) Sensa-Tracs are a good choice? I ask this as I have

a friend who owes me some trade-out (barter) for some work I recently did for

him, and he gets a good discount on automotive parts, and I'm thinking this will

be our trade.

Thanks, all...

Edit:

AdamCKach,

After reading your post more closely, your's is a good analogy of what my Trac's

suspension is doing. I have 34,200 miles now, and it's been doing it for about 6

months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trac,

Mine has 35,000 and change now, so we're about at the same point when deciding to swap them out. Believe me--it's night and day after.

The sensa tracs are essentially the same shock as the RSX if I remember correctly. Either one will improve the ride over the OEM's. BUT, if you like a soft ride, the RSX's & Snesa Tracs are NOT soft. They are by no means hard but are made to absord bumps without reflex meaning really no movement or absorbtion just handling without bottoming.

Hope you understand that, I think I just confused myself!!!!!LOL

I'm wanting a firmer and more controlled ride over stock. And I do remember

that I'm driving a truck, not a Cadillac, so I think that's what I'm lookin' for!

Thanks, again, all!

Tracnblack, if you are looking for the equivalent to the RSX's in Monroe's, you want the Monroe Reflex's. They are just like the RSX's except they have a full top metal piece, unlike the rubber boot like the RSX's. The sensitrac's are just a regular shock and will be a softer ride. If you're looking to stiffen the ride, Monroe Reflex is your choice.;)

stone'

Yep, I'm lookin' for a little bit stiffer/more controlled ride!

Again, I'm drivin' a truck, not a 'Benz!

Thanks, Again!;)

Rodger (& Georgia),

Thanks for that advice, also! I think ya'll might be talkn' 'bout the End Link Polyurethene

Bushings, and also, the Poly- bushings that go on the frame between the mounting

points of the bar-to frame (wish I had a picture, here, to show you I think I know

what you are talking about!?!?).

they were a PITA to get the boots on, I did it while watching TV one night, had to use a screwdriver to pry them over the end of the shock.

Latest posts