Radio Pinout

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Martin

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to pull my AM/FM/Single CD/Cassette (2002 ST) radio out and replace it with the VR3 VRVD640G (Combo unit w/ Nav). Where does one find the pinout of the stock radio so I won't have to test out each line.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a look in my libray. there are 3 pdf files 2001, 2002, 2003

it is the wiring diagrams from Audiovox. should help a little..

you might want to get a install kit. this way you dont hve to splice wires. or cut the harness..

Mike, get a harness. They're about $15, and you don't have to guess, or test, and you cut no factory wires. On top of that, it's easier to make the harness outside the vehicle and just plug it in instead of trying to do it all in the dash.

Mike,

I'll second Sal. In addition to making the install much easier (splice, solder and shrink tube the harness to the radio), it makes it easier for you to remove the radio if you want to transplant it to another vehicle.

The harness below might be the one you're looking for.

Thanks everyone! I ordered the radio today and also picked up the installation kit - the one that puts the little space below the radio since the unit is 1 DIN and I'm putting it in a 1 1/2 DIN. They also carry the cable harness, so I'll pick one of them up as well!

As soon as it arrives, I'll get my digital camera out and do a installation project for everyone to enjoy!

Got the radio in the mail today, pulled the old unit out, but even with the "new" wiring harness, the colors DON'T match up with my new radio. Still would like to have a "pin out" of the colors of the wires so I can make sure I don't fry my new unit!

My old radio is the 2L2T-18C868-CA. Apparently I will only be using the lower right plug (from my old radio) wires, thus leaving two sets unused (and I know one is for the rear control, but I never used it anyway).

The colors won't match the vehicle wiring. Match the new adpater wires to the new radio harness wires, you should already have a diagram for both of them.

Below is a picture of the old mated to the new. You will see colors don't exactly match up!

[Broken External Image]:

Old Pinout is this (which I need to know what each wire goes to so I can make it match the new radio!!)

Top Row

1 - Green/Purple

2 - Red/Black

3 - Green/Black

4 - Blue/Tan

5 - Yellow/Tan

6 - Red/Green

7 - Blue/White

8 - Green/Black

Bottom Row

1 - Blue/Red

2 - Black

3 - Red/Black

4 - Not Used

5 - Orange/Red

6 - Red/Black

7 - White/Green

8 - Green/Red

On the new radio I have

Yellow - Battery +

Black - Ground -

Red - Power +

Blue - Amp/Antenna Battery +

Violet - RR Speaker -

Violet/Black - RR Speaker +

Green - LR Speaker +

Green/Black - LR Speaker -

Gray - RF Speaker +

Gray/Black - RF Speaker -

White - LF Speaker +

White/Black - LF Speaker -

Brown - Parking Brake (says -12VDC?)

The new harness colors are a moot point (as they don't match anything either), as I will just make sure that the Green/Purple goes to the correct plug on the radio (currently with the new harness it goes to a Yellow wire).

Makes you want to learn a couple new sailor words, doesn't it? :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be a wire list wth the new harness. just match the markings on the new harness to te radio. should not need the old radio list here is the best i can get from the list I have.

new Harness old wiring

Yellow - Battery + YEL

Black - Ground - BLACK

Red - Power +

Blue - Amp/Antenna Battery + AMP=BLU

Violet - RR Speaker - BRN/PNK

Violet/Black - RR Speaker + ORG/RED

Green - LR Speaker + GRY/LT.BLU

Green/Black - LR Speaker - TAN/YEL

Gray - RF Speaker + DK.GRN/ORG

Gray/Black - RF Speaker - WHITE/LIGHT GREEN

White - LF Speaker + ORG/LT.GRN

White/Black - LF Speaker - LT.BLU/WHT

Brown - Parking Brake (says -12VDC?)

THANK YOU! I plugged the old radio back in, so when I'm off on Thursday, I'll get it all worked up and post the pictures! BTW - The new wiring harness didn't have a diagram with it. :(

WOO-HOO!!! I got it in!!!!

[Broken External Image]:

I will be uploading the installation pictures and text sometime Thursday (my next day off).

My thanks to all who helped with the wiring harness info (I did FINALLY find the pin out on the new one - it was microscopic on the inside of the package).

Well, since I don't have to go into work until 4:00 PM today, I went ahead and typed up the project on how the installation went. I just submitted it, but it is also in my library.

Latest posts