RADIO HELP!!!! Please read.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Cogar

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for looking.

So my radio has been acting up for a while now. It does not really work anymore. It flashes on and off like there is some sort of loose wire or even the head unit malfunction. When i get in the car in the morning all the lights on the radio are on. When the car warms up it flashes on and off.

Every once in a while the speakers will pop.

If it does actually turn on....... then i turn up the volume up to 4 notches......it shuts off again....then comes back on.

Sometimes it will be on but no sound.

I think it is really weird the radio is on when i get in the vehicle in the morning. I have left the car for two days and came back and my battery was drained. (HAS TO BE THE RADIO)

I posted these pictures for some help. One shows that there is a bare wire. not sure if it matters( might be the ground)

Does anyone know which electrical harnesses are for what?Any information will help.

New head unit?

Wires messed up?

Need more information?

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

I am pointing to the exposed wire. normal?

[Broken External Image]:

I ripped apart the dash and checked the fuses. everything seems ok. it def seems like someone has been there before. Does anyone know what goes where?power?audio?

Last edited by a moderator:
You are doing almost everything right loading your pics.

One step you are missing is scaling your images. (Below upload file)

Scale them 50% or smaller and people will reply with answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use the 20% scale feature, it works best for me. One picture will then fit on the screen panel.

It almost looks like someone has been messing around back there before you. Since it is all apart, get your test meter and check all of the connections at the plugs. Look for power/current on. then work your way back into the wiring harness. One other thing is to check inside the steering column for any frayed/broken wires(I presume you have audio controls on the steering wheel). It may sound strange right now, but many electrical issues on the GenI Tracs can be traced to the steering column. Its a place to start, I'm sure people smarter than I will offer up some good suggestions. Bob

Also if you have the 6 disk head unit. They have 2 fuses. Sometime these units get a gremlin. Pull both fuses for a few minutes. It will cause the unit to reset. Might work or might not.

Also our gen 1 tracs are known for electrical gremlins. If the battery starts to go. My '04 radio and door locks were acting up. The battery would start it, but is was weak. New battery solved it.

Have your battery tested. Even if it is new.