Radio Bezel Redo

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dads Tractors

Reaction score
So I'm adding driving lights to my ST and swapping my bezel out with that of an Explorer Sport. I may have acquired one already done but thought I'd try my hand at it. My OEM bezel is silver / metallic gray. Does anyone have suggestions on a color match rattle can? I found stuff that strips the original rubbery stuff right off in minutes. I tried bout everything else with no luck and didn't feel like hand sanding it.

IMO, I would pick a color that looks good to you. That is what counts, IMO.

We have had members paint the bezel, with colors that were not matching. All in the personal tastes. There is no right or wrong with our tracs when modding.....:driving::supercool:

I emailed you, Ryan.

If you buy one off of ebay for an Explorer Sport, you have to swap the rear window nameplate and glue it onto the bezel you buy on ebay. You also have to swap the rear window switches. That's what I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I painted my console insert several months ago with gray Dupli-Color Bumper Coating. You can see it in the link below, and read what else I tried. It ended up being a good match to the radio bezel, which is lighter than the console originally was.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3476397#post3476397

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Krylon's Antique Bronze to paint my center console. You can see the paint and the finished product in the photos. I thought it was a really close match.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Did you guys prime it at all or clearcoat it? I found some Zeps Vandal Mark remover that took that rubbery crap off in about 2 make minutes.

"I first sprayed it with gray Rustoleum Fabric and Vinyl paint, but it was flat and kind of the color of gray mud. Then I sprayed it with DupliColor Bumper Coating, which was intended for things like our plastic bumper covers, and then 2 coats of matte clear after very light wet sanding with 1500 grit paper."

Other than that, I just cleaned it well before I sprayed it.

It was a bit chilly in the garage so after I sprayed on that vandal mark remover I hovered a heat gun slightly over it and the warmer temp blistered the rubber coating right up. Was careful not to apply too much heat.

I can't remember what brand the clear was. The can is sitting on my desk at work so I can't find out til Monday. You'll have to search for the Dupli-Color Bumper Coating (that's what it's called) to see who carries it. I bought it at the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore when they had a supply of spray cans.

I think I did prime my console first, mostly because the original finish was so badly worn and uneven.

I can't remember what brand the clear was. The can is sitting on my desk at work so I can't find out til Monday. You'll have to search for the Dupli-Color Bumper Coating (that's what it's called) to see who carries it. I bought it at the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore when they had a supply of spray cans.

I think I did prime my console first, mostly because the original finish was so badly worn and uneven.

Just an fyi - if you try the vandal mark remover don't let it sit on the bezel too long. Got mine all stripped and sanded. Goin to try duplicolor plastic primer followed by duplicolor medium silver bumper coating. We will see how it goes. Still a bit uncertain about the wiring to the extra oem fog switch to my kc lights. I'm thinking about jumping peg 4 and 5 to the origional switch, taking peg 6 to one of the kc's after the relay but uncertain what to do with peg 3?

The clear I sprayed my console with is Krylon Low Odor Clear Finish in matte. I usually wouldn't mix brands like I did this time, but everything I used I bought at the ReStore for $1.50 a can.

So I just sprayed my salvage yard rescued bezel with Duplicolor promoter and bumper coating in medium silver and boy does that lay nice with a darn near color match. Thanks all for the pointers along the way.

Latest posts