Radiator water temp problem (thermostat??)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1cntrler

Reaction score
Lastnight on my way home from work I noticed that my temp gauge was pegged all the way down (just above the C mark). I kept an eye on it and it would raise at traffic lights slightly, and then go back down once I started moving again. Lastnight it was 84 degrees when I was heaed home. Today on the way to work it was showing 100 on the temp gauge inside, and the wather temp was registering, but lower than it usually does. Is this a symptom of a thermostat failed open?? I replaced it about 50k ago in my Job 2 2001 ST with a Stant (fails open I believe) I have a trip coming up on Sunday and want to get this taken care of before then. The ST is running no differently than it usually does. If I do need to replace it, I will do the radiator cap at the same time too, and maybe a flush/fill. I never have good luck flusing/filling though for some reason. For me it always seems to cause more problems....

You probably have a failed thermostat that failed in the open position, so your engine is never getting warmed to the proper operating temperature.

The only real problem with a cold engine is a waste of gas. It won't hurt anything and won't leave you stranded on the side of the road (unless you run out of gas :p) But with the cost of gas these days I would look to getting it fixed ASAP.

...Rich

question on guages...How do they work on the st's? Are they analog, digital or what. Thought I had read an earlier post about the oil presssure guage being a "default" type guage (over 8 lbs.p.s.i. o.k., under would set a light or low guage reading???) with nothing in between. Have noticed since then mine is either no pressure with engine off, or right in the middle of the guage, with no variations for engine r.p.m.'s....Thanks...

I think the oil gauge is pretty much like a "dummy light". Either on (half way reading) or off (no reading).

I guess I'll be going rto Advance Auto on my way home from work today to pick up a new cap/thermostat.... Maybe I'll try and do a flush at the same time....

A1cntrler,

Are you active or retired military? If so, ask for a military discount at your local Advance Auto Store. I know of at least two in the Tidewater area that give 10% off for active/retired military. It's not a coporate/company policy, individual store managers decide whether or not to offer the discount.

Richard hit this dead on the nose. Your safe to drive the Trac. Your just spending more money on fuel.

The oil pressure guage is more or less a dummy light with a needle. I think it only has to clear 2PSI and then it basically turns on. When it turns on it comes to the middle of the scale. It will not fluctuate as it does not transmit any signal from the sender other than if it has pressure or not.

The other gauges work of of resistance. They will fluctuate based on various changes.

Active Duty, and the Advance around the corner from me always has given me 15% off (military+I spend a lot of time/money in there, so the manager hooke me up) Today I was stuck in traffic at the 264 tunnel/drawbridge complex on my way back from Portsmouth Medical.....2 lifts a couple of minutes apart and I was sitting for almost 1 and a half hours, idiling in traffic. Overhead temp gauge read 112 (from all the cars/blacktop) and water temp gauge sat at normal....I'm buying the new one this afternoon though once I muster up the energy to return out inot the traffic....

Latest posts