Radiator Replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Schmidt

Reaction score
So I'm watering my lawn with green water right now. Radiator has a leak. I have a 2003 sport trac with factory manual. It says you have to remove the fan shroud and to do so remove the fan/clutch. The directions call for two "special" tools. The description and pictures in manual suck. I can't figure out what I'm removing. There are four bolts directly behind the white fan. Then a big huge nut. Than on the black pulley with the belt on it another four bolts. What am I loosening / removing? Pictures would be helpful. Thank you.

o...ok the large nut is to remove the fan clutch and fan as a unit from the water pump (usallyy reverse thred) the four bolt about 10 mm head are for the fann it usally bolts on the back of the clutch unit so ... remove the them at the large nut that nut is @1and /16 inchkeep us

posted how it goes

The large fan nut is regular threads. Lefty loosy.

If you have manual transmission. There all no trans lines.

You should be able to slide the shroud back. Far enough to remove the radiator.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok...asked Autozone about the fan clutch - they actually have a kit to remove the fan clutch for Fords that closely matches the factory tools. Not a big deal after all. $163 for new radiator. Fit like a glove. $25 to get the two tools in a "kit" - have 30 days to return and get full $25 back. The larger wrench goes over the "nuts" of the pulley to hold it still and the smaller wrench goes over the large fan nut. This prevents the seals / shaft on water pump from getting messed up. It broke free super easy and unscrewed right away.

Only problem I'm having now is water isn't flowing right. Top hose not hot and heater is not blowing warm air. But no leaks and runs good. Have it cooling down right now so I can check level of coolant in radiator. I probably got about 6-7 quarts into it but systems holds 14 quarts. Radiator was full though. Took a little bit for temp. gauge to move but it did move to normal position halfway up. So temp. gauge working but no heat.

Latest posts