Rack & Pinion Shot?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yardsale

Reaction score
'01 4WD, 210,000mi.

Took it in for balance and rotate, then noticed a little vibration. Took it back and they rebalanced. Vibration turned to steering wheel wobble. Put on rack and could feel a "clunk" in side the rack and pinion assembly. Opinion is that the rack is shot. Manager said he is surprised that it lasted as long as it did.

Question - is this within average life for a rack and pinion?

Is there actual play in the steering rack? Typically the racks don't really go bad, they usually leak and if there is any play it is usually an inner or outer tie rod end both of which are replaceable.

take it for a second opinion... I'd put money on ball joints or something...... could be the inner tire rod, i guess, easy to change...

I did put my fingers on the body while the tech moved the wheel left and right and I felt a vibration that seems like movement. The tech told that there is an adjustment port, but he has not been successful at this (he said they tend to bind). I'll take it for a second opinion regardless.

Thanks!

At 210K miles 4wd. Very likly internal wear. Also it can be the rack mounting bushings or the inner tie- rods.

When I had a Pontiac Grand Am years ago, it got morning sickness, Stiff steering when the internal seals were cold, other then internal leaks like that, hose leaks and aging ps pumps are usually the only problems.

Get the tie rod and ball joints checked and get back to us.

Good Luck, Dave :toilet:

I know two different styles were used. Either will work but the lines would also need to be changed if you don't get the same one. Sorry, don't have the part number. I thought I had them saved in bookmarks but I can't find it. This is something I need to do as well.

Latest posts