Rack and Pinion

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremiah Morgan

Reaction score
My 04 has 77k miles on it and already the right inner tie rod is loose. Not bad but noticable play when tire is in the air and you move it back and forth.

Has anyone gone through this before? Can you replace the inner tie rod on these or is it a whole rack replacement??

Not sure about the trac. But past cars I have been able to replace the inner seperate. Not that hard. Unscrews from the rack shaft. When you pull the dust boot back, look for any sign of leakage. Also move the steering right and left. Look for any scoring on the rack shaft. If so replace the whole thing.

Also my experiace has been, new inners come with a new rack.

It is replaceable. It will require a special tool that slides over the rod and allows for a ratchet at one end and it engages into the nut onto the other end near the rack itself.

I would imagine Autozone has it as a loaner tool.

I know the tool..Used to Manage an OReillys...I will never step foot in a Autozone..What a joke!! I replaced many inner and outter tie rods and even Racks/pinions in my day...Just needed to know if it was replacable or not...Thanks guys!!

KC, Im with you on that. I have Oreillys and AZ across from each other. For most repair parts, Oriellys is my first stop.