Rack And Pinion replacement?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

Reaction score
I have had a noticeable popping noise coming from my front end when turning for quite some time. I took the ST in to Firestone this morning for a state inspection and some other work. They checked it out and said some of the rack and pinion teeth are likely broken. To repair it they want $657. Since the truck has 87,000 miles on it wouldn't I be better off just replacing the whole assembly? How much is a new or rebuilt rack and pinion and what's a ball park figure to have it replaced? They claimed it would be around 5 hours labor.

If you are good will tools. You can do it yourself. For about $300 with a rebuilt unit. They wont repair it. They will swap it for a rebuilt unit. It is not hard. just count the threads on the tie rod ends. Then go for an alignment. The rack unit is not buried like some. 5hrs labor is not right IMO.

I know I can do it in 2. Get a second opinion and estimate.

Firestone shops in my area are rip offs. Including their sale prices on their tires. I can buy any of their tires eslewhere for 20% less.

Just did a rack change and I think it was a bit tougher than originally thought. I think a second time around would be easier but be prepared for some trouble with the highpressure hose and low pressure house. It is a press fitting which goes from the pump into the pinion. Mine was rusted up and broke coming out. Remember when taking it out remove the screw on the clamp and pry straight out. The clamp holds a pressure hose and another low pressure hose which when replaced should swivel freely, 10ft/lbs of torque. I had to have the hose specially ordered from Ford which took about 3 days. Also had trouble with getting the damn unit out ,had to remove the stabilizer bar and end links. I took the time to replace the bushings on the endlinks from the moog to energy suspension. I am a half decent mechanic and it is do-able but be prepared.

I've done shocks, sway bars, etc but no way I'm tackling this. I'm going to get more estimates because like Eddie said, Firestone is a bit expensive.

Latest posts