QUICK HELP, 4 wheel drive no worky! Need input

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I'm sure most of you have seen this damn truck of mine... I bought it "mint" from a Stealership in Chicago. Me being the dumb guy I am, did not even check to see if 4wd worked when I received the truck. Instead I tore it apart to put the lift(s) and other parts on it.

So my wife tried 4wd last week and it had no lights come on, no clicking, etc etc all the signs for a bad control module that I've read from my searches. Of course I'm out of the country and can't trouble shoot it myself so I told her to take it to the local Ford Stealership.

That guy just called me and said it was the transfer motor and should be $580... I tell him it can't be and has to be the control module from all the signs. He said he hooked it up and the truck was showing a code for the transfer motor. This is where I need help... you think it would throw a code for the control module, not the transfer motor correct??

Please help point me in the correct direction so I know if I need to boot this guy for trying to pull my leg when I'm out of the country.

Pic for views:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the tech give you trouble code numbers?

Last edited by a moderator:
put the vehicle in nutreal and try to engage the 4x4 the control module is usall culprit some timesjust dirty or set up due to the lack of use

850 seems high to me

No he didn't give me the trouble codes... I'll ask him this morning. It just sucks being out of town, but I want it done incase my wife has to drive it. RWD BMW's in snow do not work at all. Thanks for the kind words Brandon... I've done a few more things to her so I'll update my thread in a few weeks!

The codes they gave me were, P1867 and P1891. According to Steve McKellop (ncranchero) those codes are for:

P1867: Transmission Transfer Case Contact Plate General Circuit Failure (source: 4wd control module)

P1891: Transmission Transfer Case Contact Plate Ground Return Open Circuit (source: 4wd control module)

I called the dealership and said it was the control module and not the transfer motor and that guy said "we've been working on Fords longer than you, we're not here to waste time and money" and then hung up on me. I don't think he realizes A. I'm 6'4" 265lbs bodybuilder and B. My good friends dad owns that dealership.

Thoughts??

To me that sounds like very unprofessional service and taking advantage of a woman. If you could and haven't, I'd go there and demand not to pay for the diagnostics and hold their unprofessionalism against them and use your connection with friends dad bing the owner. If that is the only codes that he gave you and you know for a fact that they relate to the control module than they are just trying to rip your wife off.

Can she take it to another nearby Ford? Or perhaps a reputable tranny shop?

So, he's essentially claiming the codes are wrong because they got caught in a lie. Or he's claiming you can't find out what those mysterious, secret codes mean. One way or another, he thinks you're stupid.

Not the type of service I'd reward my money.

Latest posts