Quick Fix

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remove the belt and check all the pulleys for binding first. After that, look into a 1/2" shorter belt (K060860) many here have used with great success. Do NOT use belt dressing.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on swshawaii's advice. It's a worn belt or bad bearings in the pulleys.

Also, I have found that when coolant gets on it, it can squeak. Knowing all my pulleys and belt were good. I washed it in a bucket filled with water and dawn. Then, rinsed well. My upper rad hose worked it's way loose a had a fine mist of coolant spraying out onto the belt.

If never serviced before. Go ahead and change belt, idler pulley, and entire tensioner assembly. Should be around $60 on Rockauto or Amazon. Gates brand.

+1 on the shorter belt:supercool:

If none of that works. All that's left is the power steering pulley and a/c pulley. (not common) Highly doubt it is the crankshaft pulley.

I had the .5" shorter gates belt. My power steering pump still sliped under throttle up. I changed to the dayco poly-cog .5" shorter. I can do a WOT in a sharp curve. No loss of power steering.

I have always been a gates buyer. I changed my mind. I will buy the gates tensoner though. It is a flat wound spring vs wire wound. Experiance has given me more tensoner stability. No idler bouncing unless, the belt has extreme intermitant streching. In that case the belt needs replacing.

I used to work for Dayco's technical center. The surpentine belts were made with several windings of very strong kevlar cord. i highly doubt if those belts would stretch at all. What might seem like stretching is likely wear on the V-s so the belt is sitting lower in the pulleys.

We used to use those belts for rigging with cranes and big bertha fork trucks for picking up and moving huge production equipment. Like I said, those belts are very strong.