Questions for Audio guys

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm getting my new Sport Trac next week and I have a couple questions for any of you audio experts on this board.

1. If you could only choose one, which is more important, putting in a nice sub with an amp or replacing the 6x8's (or 5x7's) in the doors?

2. If I replace all of the speakers and add a sub will the factory deck be able to handle all of it or will I need to put in a new one?

3. Is that little compartment for the factory 8" sub any good, can you sqeeze a 10" in there?

if i were you i would start by upgrading your door speakers. i would them amp them. maybe a little sound deadening material like Stinger Expert Roadkill (not only will it improve how your door speakers sound but it will make the trac alot more quiet). then decide if you really need a sub. with good door speakers on the right amp you can achieve alot of mid bass. alot of folks on this website say the eight is plenty for them but i know it would not be for me. im an audiophile and have been since i can remember. i wouls do it in stages and see what you like the most. but always remember in the world of mobile audio you pay for what you get....... $39 door speaker are $39 worth of sound.

Of course I'd love to do the whole shebang at one time but I might take your advice and do a little at a time and see how it goes. How about the factory deck? If I keep it in will I not be getting full potential out of the speakers?

Will, I have Kicker 6x8's in my doors (no amp to them) and 2 8" subs. (one behind the seat, the other under the 60/40) The subs are driven by a Kenwood 600 watt amp. All that and the factory HU. It really sounds good. I have a total of $200 in my set-up. As a matter of fact, I was at a golf outing this past weekend and alot of people couldn't believe that I had that much sound comming out of my set-up. I know thw word around here is you get what you pay for, but there are deals out there that can get you what will sound great, for cheap.;)

that is correct. as you know your radio has a preset parametric equalizer (bass and treble). most of your after market radios (usualy over $150) will have at least a 3 band PEQ (bass mid and treble) with adjustable frequencies. now the higher end radios (usualy over 250) will have anywhere from a 5 band to a 7 band PEQ. which has added frequencies you can stress. like the old days with the EQ's where they had anywhere from 3 to 12 knobs on them. well radio manufacturers have come up with the technology to add them into the radio instead of a stand alone piece. IMO (in my opinion) Stock Sucks but then again one persons trash is anothers treasure.

I beleve that JL and Rockford now make OEM interfaces that improve your sound, and make your stock headunit able to interface into your Ipod somehow. Dont know to much about it check them out.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep_pages.php?page_id=94

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_categories.asp?cat_id=1&locale=en_US

The products you mention Brett are great for vehicles that you cant remove the factory HU such as some of highend benzs/bms and such we have to use them at work quit a bit nowadays but for the price you pay for those you could get a highend HU such as a eclipse 3000 and up. I would recomend what MPtony said if you I were selling something to you. Just remember that you not going to get deep bass out of the door speakers but good mid bass if you get a good set such as the Polk Momo's or even the Polk DB series. Ohh and Will if you can give me a price range me or some others on here can price some systems for you.

If you have the money, shop around for a nice aftermarket system, comparibly matched

(H/U, speakers/amp), as a package and do it all at once on a nice weekend. Most audio places

will give some kind of discount, or "perk", if you order an entire system from them.

Anything (almost) is better than stock!

I have been an audiophile since my first car (1970 maverick I paid $150 for and put a

$200 dollar stereo in it back in 1979!). Technology has way improved since then, thank

goodness! Let me tell you all what I have now in my 'Trac...

A Dual XRP 7500 220 watt H/U, motorized detachable faceplate with the I-Pod ( they

call it I-Plug) adapter thru a set of RCA's on the back of the radio, two sets of RCA outputs,

line level and one Sub output, Front and Rear doors have a set of Pioneer 6x9 1604-Ra 3-

3-way speakers with the poly-aramid, silicone and titanium speaker composites for the

low-mid and tweeter materials and surrounds, and a full function remote control for the H/U.

Got the whole system for about $400, and I am very happy with it. So are some of the

younger guys at work, with their $1,000 systems (not considering their 500 watt sub-

woofers!) They obviously have MUCH more kick than mine, but cut the sub out, and

overall, mine is just as "crisp" and "tight" as theirs, just playing through the door speakers!

Now if I could only, just overcome the stigma of having a "Dual" brand H/U!!!

Put it this way, track one, Nickleback, "Follow You Home", off their "All The Right Reasons"

C.D., will shake the rear-view mirror, bounce your elbows on the armrests, without any

distortion or buzzing, all off of my door speakers!:cool:

Like MPTony said, minimum is to do the speakers with sound deadener. You'll think you have a whole new system. I have 4 Pioneer 4way TS-6881R with deadener on inside and outside door skins - don't need no sub now! :D

[Broken External Image]:

I'd rather keep the stock HU so that I can keep my volume controls in the steering wheel. I actually got my Sport Trac today and it turns out that it comes with that little woofer in the back, I might just replace that and put in new speakers in the doors. Has anyone tried that setup? Will replacing that 8" factory woofer do any good or will I need to add an amp? Thanks for all the great advice!

Can Trac,

Looks like mine, only I see you have the 4-ways!...

Door speakers did make a world of difference in mine, like Can Trac said.

Go with this upgrade, first, and see how it sounds to you , and go from there!!!

Not "Earth-Shattering" bass, but good quality door speakers will "tighen up'

your sound tremendously!:wub: