Question on rear-end collition

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Cisne

Reaction score
Got rear ended at a light yesterday by a kid texting. Nothing major except the rear bumper on my Gen1 is hanging down about 1.5 inches. Is it a simple adjustment or is there hidden damage that I need to look out for? I had just turned 150K miles the day before and this it the first time it has had any damage besides parking lot rash or brush scrapes.

Thanks for the responses!

The rear frame rails tend to buckle causing the bumper to slant.

It's not a biggie for a body shop to fix.

They wll probably pull the bed off to fix it though.

one thing to check for is the plastic reinforcement bumper that is right behind the plastic bumper cover. My teenage daughter backed into a wall in a parking lot. Bumped the corner of the bumper. No noticeable damage. Just a little scrape. But, when I crawled under I saw a big crack and the metal bracket was bent a bit. Grabbed onto the plastic bumper reinforcement and the whole end(corner) of it fell right out. It was split all the way. I believe it is designed to do this. Probably to absorb impact. She said she barley felt a thing. I'm still hunting down a replacement. I've only seen front ones online. I think my only option is a junkyard. I'm just sure never to stand on that corner in the mean time:banghead:

edit: I have seen new ones. But, IIRC they were a few hundred dollars

Last edited by a moderator:
The brackets on the Gen 1's are slotted to make the bumber drop when hit in the rear. When mine was hit, I was able to loosen the bolts and raise it back into place.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the Trac fixed. It cost them $571 to put a new bumper cover on my truck. he problem now is that I had used Krylon plastic fusion on the old one and the rest of the cladding and not it does not match.