question on portable winch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darrel Chaney01

Reaction score
I bought one of those electric winchs that you can put on your hitch ball, for light duty work. It came with the cables that attach to your battery posts, but are too short to reach the battery from the back of the ST. Can you put a plug on it to use the accessory plug in, in the bed of the ST, or would that be too much for that to handle? If not I guess I could put a block of wood between the clips and use a jumper cables so I could reach the battery. I don't want to mount a full size winch at this time, since I am trying to convince my wife to trade the 2001 for an 07.

You need to find out how much current the winch draws when running under load. If it is 15 amps or less, then configure it to use the accessory plug in the bed [fused for 20 amps].

Warn makes a remote kit for winchs. It includea a heavy dutywiring harness that will run from the front to the back of your truck. It has an outlet where you can plug in jumper cables or a winch.

Not cheap (Nothing Warn sells is cheap!) But works great!

Joel

Latest posts