Question on how to load a trailer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zuber

Reaction score
My son will be moving 800 miles later this month, and he'll be using a U-Pack trailer. A 28' trailer is dropped off and you have three days to pack. He has a family room set (full size couch, love couch, 65" TV, audio/speakers equipment, etc), and a full bed room set. Also other odds and ends like a desk, a few chairs, etc. With the U-Pack you pay by the liner foot that you use in the trailer. What I'm wondering is the best optimum way to load the largest items, which are the couches. I'm wondering if standing them up "on end" will not only fit, but if the couches can tolerate being on end for the move. Another option is to place the smaller couch upside down onto the full size couch...but then probably nothing can go on top of that arrangement.

Anyone experienced in making this kind of move, how to optimize the loading of furniture, etc? And all his stuff is fairly new.

Couches are usually stood on end by professional movers. If it isn't flat on the ends, and most aren't, you probably want to put a folded pad or blanket under it so as to level it. You might fit the smaller one inside the larger one this way too. Or you can build up a level tier with dressers, desks, and heavier boxes and lay the larger couch on it's back on top of those and rest the smaller one inside the larger one. Which ever way you do it, don't put much weight on top of the couch.

One mistake people commonly make is emptying desk and dresser drawers and putting the contents in boxes. You're just wasting space and effort when you do that. Just take out anything that might break or spill, and make sure what's in the drawers can't move around much. Same with anything you pack in boxes. Movement is not your friend! You may need to pull the drawers out to lighten the furniture to carry it to and from the trailer, or up and down stairs, but put them back in once the furniture is where you want it.

I agree with Duane,

If you can stack the couch on end that works best, and you can still put the short couch inside the longer couch....very common technique for packing a couch and loveseat..

I also agree with Duane about emptying desk and dresser drawers. If they contain clothing, no problem...If they contain things that may break or spill out, pack your towels, sheets and pillow cases or misc clothes on top of the items in the drawer to prevent the items from sliding around. Then to keep the drawer closed, wrap the whole unit in shrink wrap or tape the drawer closed with blue painters tape...easy to remove without damaging the finish on the desk or dresser. The other advantage to this technique is that you don't need more more space and boxes to pack the linens and clothes. :grin: You might even get by with a smaller trailer and less packing boxes, which saves money in the end.

...Richard

I agree with Duane,

If you can stack the couch on end that works best, and you can still put the short couch inside the longer couch....very common technique for packing a couch and loveseat..

I also agree with Duane about emptying desk and dresser drawers. If they contain clothing, no problem...If they contain things that may break or spill out, pack your towels, sheets and pillow cases or misc clothes on top of the items in the drawer to prevent the items from sliding around. Then to keep the drawer closed, wrap the whole unit in shrink wrap or tape the drawer closed with blue painters tape...easy to remove without damaging the finish on the desk or dresser. The other advantage to this technique is that you don't need more more space and boxes to pack the linens and clothes. :grin: You might even get by with a smaller trailer and less packing boxes, which saves money in the end.

...Richard

Latest posts