Question on 2010 ST's (long)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat Smith

Reaction score
Dealer has a 2010 XLT 4WD w/3500 mi with cloth seats; he wants me to look at trading with him. I have an 01 ST XLT 2WD with leather seats and 92M miles on it. I do no offroading but I drive on lots of muddy country roads. Both vehicles are auto tranny. I have a few questions before I look into this deal.

(1) Is the 2010 V6 SOHC the same motor that is in my 2001, or has it been changed or upgraded?

(2) Is the tranny the same or has it been changed?

(3) I have an EE Swaybar on my 01 and swear by it; do I need an EE Swaybar on a 2010 or has Ford taken care of its ST stability issues?

(4) Any issues with the 2010 models?

(5) Anybody really dissatisfied with cloth seats?

Thanks in advance ... BH

Last edited by a moderator:
(1) Is the 2010 V6 SOHC the same motor that is in my 2001, or has it been changed or upgraded?
The intake manifold is different, but otherwise I believe the engines are identical.

(2) Is the tranny the same or has it been changed?
It's the same 5R55E five-speed automatic transmission.

(3) I have an EE Swaybar on my 01 and swear by it; do I need an EE Swaybar on a 2010 or has Ford taken care of its ST stability issues?
EE doesn't make a sway bar for the 2007-2010 Sport Tracs. Ford did indeed take steps to make the 2007-2010 Tracs much more stable and safer in thers of handling/stability.

(4) Any issues with the 2010 models?
Can't speak from personal experience (I have a 2004 Sport Trac Adrenalin), but I haven't heard of any issues with 2010 Tracs so far. There have been issues in model years 2007-2008 (mostly the six-speed tranny that comes with the V8), but I think Ford worked them out in 2009-2010.

(5) Anybody really dissatisfied with cloth seats?
That's really a personal preference. I had a 2002 ST with cloth seats, and now drive a 2004 STA w/leather. I prefer the leather upholstery. Doesn't stain, and is easier to clean/maintain, in my opinion.

i had an 07 xlt v6 before i went to an 09 xlt v8. never had a problem with the 07.

the cloth seats where nice but hard to keep clean. so i needed to stay on top of them to keep them clean. at the time they were only offering 2 shades of tan for the interior on the xlt with a v6.

traintracs post is pretty accurate

I've got an '08, V-8, 4WD with leather. I like it this way, as stated the leather is easier to keep clean. The V8 motor offers me the drivability I'm looking for. Plus its easy to upgrade with some performance parts. I've had no problems with the truck. Only an annoying rattle from the rear brakes that somebody here sent me a TSB to get it fixed by Ford. So, if you like the truck, go for it! 2010 will be the last year of production anyway!! Good luck, BC :supercool:

Latest posts