question for y'all

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom ringler

Reaction score
i have an 02 sport trac. i am looking to get a newer one and was wondering what you guys think if i should go with just a 4x4 version or get an adrenalin.

IMO, if you dont need 4x4, dont buy it. Just more drive train to repair.

I would buy a gen2 adrenlin. Good luck with your search.

I have a 2010 AWD V8 adrenalin, Goes great in the snow and tows my enclosed snowmobile trailer with 2 sleds awsome. I have always been a "4x4" guy, thats how i was raised. I was pretty hesitant of the "AWD" but its just as good. I was brainwashed as a child. LMAO! Go with the adrenalin, you wont be disappointed at all! Jim

I have an 07 v8 limited 4x4 I call it awd cuz it is lol. And I have summer tires on my st and runs like a beast thru the snow . Idk about mud I've had mine on trails and it did great tho . If that helps any

I also have a 4x4 ST. The gen 2 4x4s actually run in AWD mode until you punch either the 4x4 HIGH or 4x4 LOW button. Having the gear reduction of the two speed transfer case is one of the major advantages of the true 4x4 model over AWD. You may never need the low speed capability that low range offers but when you do it can make the difference between getting out of a "sticky" situation or not. Having the low range capability in some of the places I have taken my ST hunting has sure made those trips a whole lot less stressful. Just being able to go down a steep incline using the engine braking offered by low range can make the ride safer than trying to ride the brakes and taking the chance of losing control.

Gen 2 4x4 Adrenalins do not have a Low Range button. Ford didn't want to tempt people to go 'froading with those big wide tires. A Gen 2 Adrenalin can be 4x2 or 4x4, V6 or V8.

I've owned both, first an '05 and now my '08. Ride and handling is so much better it's not even funny. No issues with needing to immediately replace the shocks with something decent. Better seats and the Gen 2 is a little bit longer with most of the extra space in the form of rear seat legroom. Lots of lighter plugs and a hardwire plug for the stereo for an iPod or whatever. Downsides, it's not as off-roady and has traction control instead of limited-slip. If it doesn't snow where you live then a 4x2 will be fine.

Tom ... Hands Down a Gen 2 Adrenalin per experience, we have a '01 Gen 1 4x2 and a '05 Gen 1 XLT 4x4 too in the family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom - I think JohnnyO answered your second question, but I'll elaborate. The Adrenalin's AWD is all wheels engaged all the time, with no "granny gear." My 2010 Limited has a 4X4 drive, with 4X4 Auto as the default setting and 4X4 High and 4X4 Low options.

[Broken External Image]:

In 4X4 Auto, there is torque to the rear wheels only. This saves fuel over AWD for everyday driving. If wheel-spin is detected, the front wheels engage. Often there is a noticeable kick, sometimes enough to spill your coffee. The system kicks in too often for my tastes, like when you take off from an intersection with a little sand or some pine needles in the road. It's not a deal breaker, but it is annoying. You could remedy this a little by keeping some weight in the back I guess.

My wife's Infiniti QX56 has the same setup, but her's kicks in a lot less often (probably due to more weight over the rear wheels), and it's a lot less noticeable even though it has torque out the ying yang.

As for the first question, I'm partial to the Limited Sport Trac V8 4X4. You could drop it, put on sportier wheels and/or tires, and change the suspension to your liking. I'm going the opposite way with more butch tires after my Michelins (70k miles so far) wear out. To each his own; that's why they come in different packages! To me, the Gen I looks better than the Gen II.

Tom - I think JohnnyO answered your second question, but I'll elaborate. The Adrenalin's AWD is all wheels engaged all the time, with no "granny gear." My 2010 Limited has a 4X4 drive, with 4X4 Auto as the default setting and 4X4 High and 4X4 Low options.

Close. The Gen 2 Adrenalin has the same transfer case as the XLT and operates the same way in 4-Auto, just that there is no 4-Low button (it's in there, but you don't have a button). All four wheels don't get power all the time, just the front kicks in when the computer detects slippage. I don't recall if Adrenalins have a 4-High button to lock in the 4wd but our fearless leader Todd Z has one and would know for sure.

In 4X4 Auto, there is torque to the rear wheels only. This saves fuel over AWD for everyday driving. If wheel-spin is detected, the front wheels engage. Often there is a noticeable kick, sometimes enough to spill your coffee. The system kicks in too often for my tastes, like when you take off from an intersection with a little sand or some pine needles in the road. It's not a deal breaker, but it is annoying. You could remedy this a little by keeping some weight in the back I guess.

Agree, I don't like it either. When the roads are mostly snow-covered I just lock it in 4-High and motor on. :driving:

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny O - That's interesting. I did some looking back at this site's forums and some others, and there is/was some confusion over what the AWD is. Some people still believe they have a full-time AWD. You're right, it's got the same transfer case as my 4WD system.

I had just assumed that it was like the Mercury Mountaineer I had before with a viscous coupling full-time AWD. Thanks for correcting me. Learn something new....

I agree with Eddie - if you don't absolutely need the offroad capability, stick with 2WD as it'll be cheaper to maintain. I've had three Tracs - an 02 Gen1, 07 Gen2 Limited V6 and current 08 STA 4.6L, all of them 2WD. IMO, the independent rear suspension on the Gen2 gives a markedly better ride and drive. I was very happy with the 07 V6 until I stumbled onto this forum and started reading about the Gen2 Adrenalin. Started searching AutoTrader for Adrenalins and wouldn't ya know a red 08 with 17K popped up on CarMax not too far away in OKC. Pics convinced me it was worth $140 to have it trucked down and held for closer look. As soon as I saw it I told the salesman "Done."[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts