Question for the Computer Gurus..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn stonbraker 2

Reaction score
Since you all have always been so helpful to me in the past with my computer problems, I need a little help again.

Here is the run down. I bought my daughter a Laptop for Christmas. It has wireless capabilities. I bought a Belkin Wireless Router and have hooked it up the way it says to. Ran the included CD in my main (hardwired) computer and set up a "Global" (or something like that) connection and am able to access the internet on both of them. Here is my question, I used a Verizon Modem (Westell) before and in the "Connections" area of my computer, it says "Unconnected" under it's icon. When I click the icon and select "Connect" it will not connect. It seems like my internet access is going through the new Router, but not my modem. When I put the pointer over the area in my lower right toolbar where the little connection icon is, it says I'm connected at 100Mbps just like it did when I was just using the Modem. The question is, is there something wrong? I'm just worried I may be using someone else's connection.

When the CD walked me through everything, it had me enter the "Username", "Password" and "Carrier" names for the Modem and I also did set up the security for my connection. Is there something else I should have done? Or should I just call Verizon and make sure everything is correct?

I'm not home right now, but will try to answer any questions you have to help make sure this thing is working correctly.

Thanks.

It's fine.

The old way was using a connection that required authentication and will not be needed anymore since the router is logging in to your connection for you and just keeping it connected at all times.

If you tell me the OS, I can try to give you some help in removing that connection so that you don't have to see the disconnected icon all the time.

All this is assuming you are talking about a hardwired connection, because then there is no way you are picking up someone else's internet.

JD, yes the main connection I'm talking about is the one on my hardwired computer. My daughter's computer is hooking up to the connection I set up on this computer. My OS is Windows XP.

It's been awhile since I did a dsl connection like this but, it should be under control panel, network connections. You should be able to just delete Verizon or whatever they have it called. It should be the only disconnected one and is usually named pretty obviously.

On the wireless laptop, verify that it is connected to whatever you named your network (SSID) as long as it shows that it is connected to that network then everything is working and connected using your internet connection.

Yep. Says it's connected to the one I named when I set it up. Also, the one that's not connected is named "Verizon Online" and is in it's own little section. I appriciate the help. I feel better now. Thanks.

Latest posts