Question for SCT Programmer owners

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackson Ellis

Reaction score
Just bought the SCT programmer from Torrie and got the 87 Performance, 87 Econ/MPG, and 93 Performance tunes. I'm on the 87 perf right now and have been very impressed with it. I will try the 93 as soon as this tank of gas is gone. No interest whatsoever in the 87 econ.

I've emailed with Torrie about towing my 5000lb boat, and he says the 87 performance should be OK, but that I could return to stock for towing if needed. I'd rather have a set it and forget it tune, mostly since switching takes 30 minutes or so. My interests are better throttle response, better shifting, and more power. Here are my questions:

What tunes do you have?

What's your daily driver tune?

Have you towed with the performance tunes?

Is the 93 perf a lot better than the 87?

Are you switching tunes a lot, or is your SCT parked in your tool box?

Thanks.

You could run more timing on 93... There for add more power to the truck over the 87 tune. Maybe you could run an 89 octane performance tune to be in between the 2. I don't think a Performance tune would good for towing... The tow tune should be tuned to have alot more lowend torque for better pulling with different shift points. I'm gonna get me tunes from Torrie too and plan to do just that.

I run 87, 89 and 93 perf. tunes. I run 93 most always. For me the difference in fuel cost is worth it. I can definitly feel the difference in 87 and 93.

If I was towing I would swap on of the 87 tunes for a towing torque tune.

I got my programmer from Torre also. I installed the 87 performance tune and have been running it now for over 37,000 miles, set it and forget it. My truck runs great.

Towing- Should be used when towing any significant load. Shifting is Towing centered.

Towing Tune- Adjusts the Octane based tunes to focus more on towing over performance.

Why does SCT even offer a towing tune? Curious why it takes 30 minutes to switch tunes, mine takes 5 minutes max.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don' t know if there is a difference in the Gen1 and Gen2's but it took at least 30 minutes to flash to 87 performance. I'll update on how long it takes to flash the 93 performance as soon as this darn tank of gas runs out. Maybe I need a long drive around the lake.

As for the tunes, Torrie asked me what I was interested in. I told him I had a 5000lb boat and that I wasn't interested in economy tuning at all. He sent me the three tunes I mentioned above. I've asked him questions about towing, and he tells me to try it with the performance tunes, and see if I have problems. If I do, then flash to stock for towing. With the 87 performance, the shifts come quick and hard, so I don't think it'd be a good towing tune at all.

Guess I need to send another email and ask directly for him to send me a towing tune.

I'm considering one of these.

We have 87, 89, and 91 Octane here in Phoenix.

I figure I'll get the following:

91 Performance

87 Economy

Towing - Not sure what Octane I should program for. I usually run 91 as I get 1-2 MPG better with it so the extra cost makes no difference to my pocket, and It seems to run better.

My Trailer is about 6,000 lbs, and I tow into the mountains... Currently, I get an overheat condition in the high altitude about halfway up the rim from 5000 ft elevation to 7,800 ft elevation. It may have been due to a leaking radiator, which the dealer found when they replaced my Right side Head due to snapped off exhaust studs. We'll see this coming summer.

WIth new plugs, @ 77K Miles, my truck is actually running much much better, and getting better MPG's.

Now, some more questions:

Should I get the SCT first or the Zabtec throttle body?

One or both?

Which is better?

Do they basically give me the same results?

Are the benefits of both additive?

If I get the SCT now, and the TB later, do I need to get new tunes?

I'm considering one of these.

We have 87, 89, and 91 Octane here in Phoenix.

I figure I'll get the following:

91 Performance

87 Economy

Towing - Not sure what Octane I should program for. I usually run 91 as I get 1-2 MPG better with it so the extra cost makes no difference to my pocket, and It seems to run better.

My Trailer is about 6,000 lbs, and I tow into the mountains... Currently, I get an overheat condition in the high altitude about halfway up the rim from 5000 ft elevation to 7,800 ft elevation. It may have been due to a leaking radiator, which the dealer found when they replaced my Right side Head due to snapped off exhaust studs. We'll see this coming summer.

WIth new plugs, @ 77K Miles, my truck is actually running much much better, and getting better MPG's.

Now, some more questions:

Should I get the SCT first or the Zabtec throttle body?

One or both?

Which is better?

Do they basically give me the same results?

Are the benefits of both additive?

If I get the SCT now, and the TB later, do I need to get new tunes?

I saw on Torrie's facebook page that the next generation of the SCT tuner is coming soon. When you buy a tuner from Torrie, you'll send him an email with all options and aftermarket items on your ST. He emails the tunes to you and you put them on your SCT for upload to your ST. Any changes in the future? Just send him an email and he emails you a new tune.

Latest posts