Question About Tint

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan Darbyshire

Reaction score
Hey guys im about to get a new truck this week. The one I want has privacy tint on it thats looks about 35-30%. Im not sure if it is stock from the dealer or if its a film. But if i do get it, im looking to be putting 5% tint all around. Has anyone ever gotten tint removed and then replaced with darker tint? I want to know if anyone knows if thatll be alot extra, Thanks.

By the way heres the link to the Jeep. Im not much of a jeep fan but ive got big plas for this truck.

It is really easy to remove tint. Get a razor blade under a cornner and then pull the sheet off then clean it really well; there will be a sticky residue that needs to come off before putting the new on. There is also a solution called tint off sold everywhere including Wal*Mart that works really well with a razor blade. Putting tint on, I find that a few drops of baby shampoo in about 4 cups of water works well so you can position the film and remove any air bubbles with a straight edge. I prefer silicone spatchulas (Sp?) but in a pinch a credit card will work. I just prefer the flexibility of silicone as compared to the hard plastic of a credit card.

Don

Isn't 5% really dark and illegal in some places? Thats what i heard, thats like limo tint. If it is not illegal, wont that be hard to see through at night?

Don is right, it shouldnt be too hard to take it off.

You can get a kit for installing the tint at WM as well, contains a rubber squeegee and razor blade knife, would highly recommend you use the rubber squeezggee to remove the air/excess water from the new tint, to avoid scratching the new tint. a credit card will help with the corners/below the weather stripping etc., but use the rubber squeezgee for ;the most part.

The rear door windows and back window are factory tint. A lot of people tint the front door windows to match.

State tint laws can be found at TintDude.com

Wal-mart tint is crap. Buy it online or have a professional do it. You may think it's easy to install. If it takes you more than 10 mins to install a decal it's going to be hard to install tint yourself.

SST, he's referring to tinting a Jeep Commander.

As far as 5%, yes that's limo tint and I believe illegal in all 50 states on the driver and passenger windows. Most states have 35-40% limits, hence the ST's 35% on the rear. Most installers will warn that the 5% is illegal.

re: Question About Tint by Spaceman Spiff,10/26/2007 11:12 ET

SST, he's referring to tinting a Jeep Commander.

As far as 5%, yes that's limo tint and I believe illegal in all 50 states on the driver and passenger windows. Most states have 35-40% limits, hence the ST's 35% on the rear. Most installers will warn that the 5% is illegal.

I live in Utah and it is NOT illeagal to have 5%. You are limited to 35% on the front windows, but anything beyond the B piller is free game. In fact I have a black Mazda 3 with 2 1/2% that is black and looks, at least in my opinion, great. The Sport Trac is factory and looks fine on a silver vehicle.

Yes Don, you're correct. That's what I was thinking when I said "driver and passenger" but didn't complete the statement.