Q for those with a hidden hitch: do you have clearance issues?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Sayre

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just put on a hidden hitch on my sport trac this weekend, and wow not much room between the rear shackle and the hitch. Has anybody towed or hauled heavy with the hidden hitch, what kind of clearance is left when those leaf springs are fully flattened out? There can't be much, and I'm wondering if I'm going to touch at all. I frequently overload my trucks, I've carried over a ton in my 3/4 ton ranger back before the sport trac, and am really concerned about the clearance. Also, the wiring on the drivers side is right between the hitch and the rear shackle, did anybody move it? I'm thinking I can unplug and maybe go through or over the crossmember somehow. Just curious how others have addressed the issue.

Another question for those with lifted 4x4's: lift springs in back would make them longer, now they are definitly going to contact the hitch, right? Going with longer shackles will help but will it totally negate the longer springs when flattened out? May just go with a spring-over conversion at some point but want to know my options.

Thanks for any replies!

--Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a hidden hitch on both of my Tracs. Never had any issues at all. Towed my jet skies literally hundreds of times. Total of about 3000 pounds.

No clearance issue on mine. It is a Valley hitch. There is no movement between the parts anyway, it doesn't matter, even if you only have a 1/16" or 1/32".

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a little concerned in the begining about the lack of clearance, but I've towed and overloaded the bed quite often, and there has been no contact.

Latest posts