Put my OEM Air Intake back in.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
I removed my K&N conical filter assy. Went back to the OEM box.

The Mod I did, was. I cut a 3" hole in the OEM box on the fender side. Used a thick piece of foam to seal it to the hole in the fender. This where I was pulling air for the homemade assy I made for the K&N conical.

I already had a K&N panel filter. Strange enough the intakes temps are lower. Also the throttle response is better. More seat of the pant torque. Pulls very good to over 100mph.

Took a freind with me that knows my trac, as a judge. He agreed, that is runs much stronger.

I may be putting my K&N conical assy and the peices I built for it. FOR SALE. You will have to cut the hole in the inner fender.

[Broken External Image]:

I did too this morning. I had installed the KKM True-Rev Sport Induction Kit for the Sport Trac and it looked great but I immediately noticed less pickup and go and took longer to accelerate thru the gears. I also went from 17-18MPG to 16.2 MPG. I drove it for a month and decided to try and go back. When I went back to the OEM air box for the 2008 Sport Trac (different than above) my milage and speed was back to excellent. So, not sure why the KKM kit would not be good as it suers looks awesome. Any ideas guys? I'd love to go back but not for performance issues and MPG loss.

Heyward,

The pic is the modified one I built. I was pulling air from the fender.

What I dont like about the KKM, is. You are pulling hot air from the engine compartment.

My modded one was also pulling hot air. Until I built the fan block and the cover for the conical filter, from a plastic bucket. With a hole in the inner fender.

It does perform well. Good throttle response. But, when I monitored my scan gauge in traffic. My intake temps would reach 160, in this Houston heat. At speed the intake temps were ambient.

Now with the OEM box pulling air from the fender, and the OEM location with out the silencer. In traffic the intake temps are 10 to 15 degree's above ambient. Plus My freind and I beleives it performs as good or better, now.

I dont want any one intrested in buying my modded one think it is a bad performer. I just didnt like the higher intake temps in traffic. It would go back to ambient. In a few minutes, once you were moving.

If I sell what you see in the pic. $65+shiping. The K&N conical and MAF mount and SS brackets, cost me $110. Plus I will also ship the extra pieces I made. Will fit all Gen1's

I had an after market air filter that replaced the the airbox and it was noisy. Went back the stock airbox. I also trimmed the black plastic grill in front of the intake for a little ram air action

UPDATE: I discovered that when I had installed the KKM system I had not pulled off the negative battery cable to reset the system and MAF. I ended up cleaning the MAF and resetting the computer. Once i reinstalled the KKM filter everything was better. My mistake as I had not understood you need to reset the MAF when chaining the system.

UPDATE #2: After driving for a couple days now I have gone back to OEM air box and using K&N filter inside. The KKM looks great but I lost MPG's. Having owned the truck since 2008 this was the first time I experienced 14 MPG. My usual MPG is 17-18 around town (2008 AWD Adrenalin with tires at 38 PSI). Not sure but I do think the hot air from the engine is the culprit as there is no protection from that heat getting sucked in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts