Pulling motor, bad compression

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Hovater

Reaction score
Well, bad compression on the driver side. Puling the motor to pull the head. Believed a bent rod and hope nothing else. Hope to be getting on the road in a week. Thank you all for your support! This is a great site! ROll Tide!!!!

Low compression on all cylinders on one side of the engine and not the other on a dual overhead cam engine is a result of skipped timing on that side.

Good luck with this project. When I had my loss of power, it didn't happen until I hit 181k miles. I don't know what I would do if it came to this dilemma.

I agree with l1tech. If a dual overhead cam "V" motor has low compression on one side only, I would look at cam timing.. Probably a timing chain issue. Early Gen1 V6's were known to have timing chain issues...mostly noise caused by timing chain tensioners, however once the change gets too much slack, it's prone to chain and sprocket wear which can cause the chain to skip a tooth and throw off cam/valve.

...Richard

A broken valve spring doesn't cause the whole side of the engine to lose compression. A broken valve spring could also have been fixed without pulling the engine out or the cylinder head off. Something doesn't sound right here.

Latest posts