pt. 1 of the Great Cladding Adventure

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Tucker

Reaction score
Well I finally found some time to get this project started. I decided to break it up into 3 steps because I've been lacking in personal time lately.

Step 1: side cladding removal, painting, and replacement.

I did this step on saturday/sunday with some amazing results. I followed Tom R.'s project very closely and it went very smoothly. I'm pretty happy with the results thus far.

(Sorry no pics as of yet. I think I'll wait till shes all done.)

Step 2: Rear bumper cover, removal, painting and replacement.

This is the next step in my little "adventure." I could use some suggestions for this part as there are two rivets holding the bumper cover in place and I have no idea how I'm going to get them off. I do not have a dremel saw like Tom suggests to use so I'm wondering what others used to get those little f$%#ers out? I'll probably just replace them with stainless steel bolts.

Step 3: Front bumper cover masking & painting

Cant wait for this one!

So I just went through a touchless car wash and it looks like some of the paint flaked off part of my side cladding :angry:

Guess I should have done a final potective overcoat of some sort:blink:....Any Recommendations?

if it came off in the car wash then it was gonna come off anyway. how long has it been since you armoralled or protected your cladding before the paint. that kinda stuff takes like a year to get out so you can paint it

I used Adhesion promoter, but it wasn't the Duplicolour brand (cant remember what brand offhand). When I applied it, it was greenish in colour..:blink:

and Clay, I have never armoralled my cladding..

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has been painted for several years. it has been through many car washes with no problems. I used Duplicolor adhesion promoter, them black Duplicolor bumper paint. I also used Alcohol to remove any grease and wax and used red Scotchbrite pad to scuff surface. Also you can remove the whole bumper assembley as one piece at the bumper mounts on the frame. A lot simpler then removing cover. Hope this helps.

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts