PS3 Game Question - Euro Version?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mookie

Reaction score
I want to buy a PS3 game for my granddaughter and don't know much about them.

Is a game described as "Euro Version , Region Free , This item work on ALL PS3 console" good for U.S version consoles?

I'm looking at eBay and there is a seller of Little Big Planet that has the above description in their auction. The Buy-It-Now price with shipping beats all the other ones by a long shot and am suspicious as to why.

What is your thought on this?

Link to auction below. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mookie- Nick is correct. Europe uses the PAL TV System, whereas North America uses NTSC.

Incompatible, unless the PS3 console is a dual system. Also, the voltage is different and Sony USA will not honor warranty on foreign product. Too many reasons not to buy it.

Only benefit I can see, is the "multi region" feature. There are sites on line that give detailed instructions to disable the coding on certain players. (Not sure about the PS3)

"Region free" DVD players are available for well under $50, none of "brand name", and all from China. Technically, they are illegal if sold in the U.S. The primary reason for the regional coding was to help prevent piracy. There is probably more piracy and "bootlegging" today, than ever. There are nine worldwide regions for standard DVD, and three for Blu-Ray formats. U.S. and Canada, being region one for standard, and A/1 for Blu-Ray.

Mookie, buy the "legitimate" US version, and save yourself the headache. JMO. Good Luck.

I heard the PS3 was region free, that was part of its market strategy to "hard core" gamers who have to play the jap games that don't make it to the USA, and the internet confirms it.

Europe uses the PAL TV System, whereas North America uses NTSC

True, but the game itself isn't coded to the video format--it's the same data, the consoles are what convert the output to a given standard.

. Also, the voltage is different and Sony USA will not honor warranty on foreign product.

The voltage has nothing to do with the game though. The Blu-ray disc isn't receiving any pow-ah.

DVD region locking is retarded. Many free programs work around region locking. Also, since you can change the region on any drive 5 times legally, you can simply switch it as need be, and if you were really old-school you could buy multiple DVD drives as they are so cheap. Institutions like colleges throw them out en masse.

I don't trust suspicious sounding buyers on eBay myself (or ebay, really), but not for the reasons listed.

Like the PSP, the PlayStation 3 is region free for gaming when it comes to PS3 games. All games available for the PlayStation 3 are region free, however backward compatibility modes (i.e. PlayStation 1 and 2 games) are region locked. Blu-ray Disc and DVD region codes are also enforced.[5] While the PS3 does have hardware regional lockout support,[3] Sony apparently has no intentions to use it.

Thanks KL, for clarifying. I haven't played a video game since the Atari 2600. No joke! :lol:

As for regional coding, I was referring to standard DVD movies only. Was not aware it existed for games.

Latest posts