Pros and Cons: Subs in Center Console vs Rear Console

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rahul Sharma

Reaction score
OK, now that i built my sub box for behind the seats, i am very eager to move it out of there....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

i am looking at exploring two possibilities for the subs. First, convert the rear seats ino a 40/40 setup and build a fiberglass enclosure similar to this one:

[Broken External Image]:

i will most likely build an entirely new center console that will strech from front to back and maybe inorporate a monitor as well for video for the rear passengers.

The second option is to build a new console for upfront and house the subs in there, similar to this:

[Broken External Image]:

those are the exact subs i have too....

my question is that i've never heard either setup before, nor am i a pro at this sort of stuff (settin up sound stages). the first option will be obviously more work + more expense as compared to the second one.

Any thoughts on how either will SOUND?

I vote rear.. I know there's a member on here with a setup like that.. Can't think of the name at the moment.. Hopefully someone else will chime in who knows who I'm speaking of..

Pretty much the only reason to have subs mounted in the above fashion is for looks alone. Both of those are pictures of show trucks, and you'll almost always find subs mounted like that in show-type vehicles. The reason is simple, get those subs out in the open so everyone can see them. A much less common reason, but still viable, is that there isn't space anywhere else for the size of sub you want to run.

Sound wise, they aren't really any different then other places. Subs do not need to be pointed in any specific direction in order to present a solid base for a sound stage. Subs produce a non-directional sound and can pretty much be placed anywhere in the cabin pointed in any direction and you'll get the same effect no matter what the combination. In a few mounting locations you'll get a slight muffling of sound, or increased rattles from sympathetic/direct vibrations, but for the most part, it doesn't really matter.

In summary, do what you want with your subs, but console mounting isn't going to improve sound any.

Thanks for your opinions guys, i'm leaning towards the rear mount as well, just wanted to get some opinions on how they'd sound upfront.

Griff: i know a member here that has a smilar set-up, RainbowTrac I think?

Tiger, thanks for your input, and i agree 100% with what you are saying. However, what you have stated: "In a few mounting locations you'll get a slight muffling of sound, or increased rattles from sympathetic/direct vibrations" is the reason for me to change my current set-up. I built a solid fiberglass box, no leaks, nothing, but i just don't think i have the right air-space to get a punch out of my subs. Plus, i am looking for a project that gets me to do the 40/40 seat anyways.....:p

So in my case, console mounting will probably help the subs because they are in about 0.3-0.5 less cuft of air space.

I did 40/40 seats awhile ago thinking about adding subs in the middle. I thru a temp center console in the empty space while i pondered how'd i do it. Ended up loving the console and never installed the subs. It's a fun project if you like to rip things apart and carefully put em back together.

When you build the Box you should keep the plans and post them as a project! It'd most likely get some good use!!!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Center console in the front is what I made for myself. I was able to create some cupholders, and didn't lose any seating.

All of the pictures are in the link below.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

rs i built a center console with one ten. i liked it fine sounded good and all but i think i would recommend going with the 40/40 i just think i would be happier with that if it were mine. i got to where i would rather have my console back instead of the speaker. so i took mine out

Latest posts