Proper way to wire stereo and backup camera.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattee

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Good day to all! I was hoping to get a bit of advise. (2005 xlt 4x4) I have a bad connection in my dash gague cluster. 90 % of the time do not work. A smack to the gauge cluster on top of dash turns them on again sometimes, untill i hit the next big bump. When all is off, at 3AM dome lights and radio turn on sometimes, and i have a dead battery when i wake up. Im going to take it appart again and give it a deeper check up tomorrow. But here is the real question i hope i can get your advice on... everything seems to run through thr gague cluster, windows and everything. I want to run the radio main power and the rear backup camera to one on the (Un assigned) fuses not used in the driver fuse pannel... but from here??? Where do i correctly tap into the power on the other side of the fuse? Im sure i can run wires all the way up to the battery, but that doesnd look too good. Is there a safe place to tap into in the fuse area in the cab, or maybe he fuse box inside the engine area by the driver firewall? Thanks for the help!!! Mattee

I would address your gauge cluster issues BEFORE attempting to wire your backup camera.
Well known issue that many have solved. See CBM link on bottom.

IIRC, there was a project for backup cam installation. Wayback Machine archives link:
https://web.archive.org/web/2017110...er Projects&PageTitle=The Sport Trac Web Site
This is a repair service for a 2004, 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac instrument cluster that is experiencing intermittent power to all the gauges, issues with individual gauges, issues with the odometer display, or other interior power issues.

Common issues found with the Ford Sport Trac instrument clusters include:

• Intermittent power failure to the gauges
  • Odometer display issues such as dimming, flickering, or no longer being visible
  • Intermittent power to radio, power windows, or interior lighting
  • Individual gauges are not working or giving incorrect readings
https://circuitboardmedics.com/2004-2005-ford-explorer-sport-trac-instrument-cluster-repair/

I would address your gauge cluster issues BEFORE attempting to wire your backup camera.
Well known issue that many have solved. See CBM link on bottom.

IIRC, there was a project for backup cam installation. Wayback Machine archives link:
https://web.archive.org/web/2017110...er Projects&PageTitle=The Sport Trac Web Site

https://circuitboardmedics.com/2004-2005-ford-explorer-sport-trac-instrument-cluster-repair/
Oh my god! Thank you for showing me how to access the old projects sections, been wishing it was part of the site again, best part IMO.

This should be a sticky link in the Projects section.

Good day to all! I was hoping to get a bit of advise. (2005 xlt 4x4) I have a bad connection in my dash gague cluster. 90 % of the time do not work. A smack to the gauge cluster on top of dash turns them on again sometimes, untill i hit the next big bump. When all is off, at 3AM dome lights and radio turn on sometimes, and i have a dead battery when i wake up. Im going to take it appart again and give it a deeper check up tomorrow. But here is the real question i hope i can get your advice on... everything seems to run through thr gague cluster, windows and everything. I want to run the radio main power and the rear backup camera to one on the (Un assigned) fuses not used in the driver fuse pannel... but from here??? Where do i correctly tap into the power on the other side of the fuse? Im sure i can run wires all the way up to the battery, but that doesnd look too good. Is there a safe place to tap into in the fuse area in the cab, or maybe he fuse box inside the engine area by the driver firewall? Thanks for the help!!! Mattee
No worries, I totally took apart the dash and cluster and fixed " everything", all working well. Only thing left is to find best place to tap in the reverse camera wire. That will take a little research as it has no unique fuse in the box to turn on only reverse is engaged!

Latest posts