Projector retrofit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Kent

Reaction score
Took the plunge and ordered a complete retrofit kit from The Retrofit Source.

Got the box last night and started working on assembly.

Mounted the CCFL Halos to the Shrouds...

I will take pictures along the way and then post the final resutl in the next few days.

Posted link for anyone looking into this as an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
do you have to cut the housing??? i think you do from what i could tell from the pics... and i love the angel eye setup..

ill be interested to see how yours come out...

I talked with Matt at TRS about the FX-R Bi-xenon projectors that would have required cutting the housing and then figuring out a way to secure the projectur using JB Weld or Silicon of some sort.

I got the Moromito Mini projectors based on his reccomendation. They are threaded on the end and put out good light with a nice sharp cutoff.

The biggest challenge should be heating the housing to remove the lens on the headlight then getting a good seal so it does not get moisture in it.

Ive baked a set of Scion TC headlights before to paint the housing and i would say, using a heat gun should be more convenient and less complex. It was a bit challenging tryin to figuere out the proper time to set in the oven and when brought out the whole housing was hot so it was hard to work with. Im sure with a heat gun you could simply heat certain areas at a time while you get a good grip of the housing to pull apart

I did not have a heat gun handy so I had to bake them. Put them in the oven at 270 degrees for 7 minutes each. I was suprised at how easily the lenses came off the headlight housing.

I then mounted the projectors using the nut on the threaded end and had to drill a hole in the back of the housing to get the wiring through. I drilled through the place the OEM halogen reflector was that sat in front of the bulb.

I then mounted the shroud on the projector using RTV clear silicon that takes up to 24 hours to completely cure.

When I mounted the Halos to the shroud I drilled small holes in the shroud in 3 places and used tooth floss to tie the Halo to the shroud in 2 places and thin wire in one place to extra security. I drilled 2 small holes in the base of the shroud to run the wires through.

So far it is coming together alot easier than anticipated.

Tomorrow when I wire them up I will check to make sure the cut off line is level before reheating the housing and putting the lenses back on.

Add'l pics in library.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top pic is the shroud with Halo mounted.

Next is the shroud mounted on the projector in the housing.

Next one is the back of the housing, there is a retaining nut under the bulb retainer with 3 screws in it. I will have to take this piece back off to install the HID bulbs.

Last pic is the Halo illuminated using my jump box. The Halo is 5k and the bulbs will be 5k.

I plan on wiring the Halos as daytime running lights.

you should of went ahead and painted the housing to match your truck or blakc housing.

im gonna do this when i have the money for new headlights and the lensse.

but i like this look better[Broken External Image]:

I thought about painting and since I have not buttoned it up yet so I could still unscrew the nut holding the projector in to paint it.

Looks wise, are talking about the shroud style in the picture above? The E46-R shroud is a very "factory" look and I really was looking for improved light output over looks. The shroud in your picture could be the "gatling gun" shroud.

I saw one retrofit using carbon fiber film inside the housing and I thought it looked really nice.

the picture play tro put up is a picture of my headlight in all honestly it took me about an hour it was really easy it looks harder than it really is

My kit uses the H1 base for the bulb so you should be able to use normal halogen bulbs.

I had a little mishap installing a bulb right at the end of the project. The bulbs are not fragile but I did crack one about 30 seconds before being completely done.

I had to order a new one and was waiting for it to come to finish up pics and other info about my install.

They are flat on the bottom. I was concerned if the housing could fit the full shroud without me having to get the dremel tool out to trim it.

In hindsight I would use the E-46R extended shroud pictured on the TRS website.

Raym2,

I would not try to do this on anyone elses lights. The only reason I did it myself was because the professional retrofitter wanted $900 to do the complete install.

It's not as hard as it seems, my problem was lack of time also. I had to squeeze this in late at night to get it done.

Latest posts