projector retro question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joseph call

Reaction score
ok. i got my morimoto h1's in my housings and hid's in. i bought a non bixenon 5000k bulb. since i wont be using the high beam wire in my harness, can i ground my bixenon solenoid and run the hot for it to the empty high beam spot in the harness? hope that makes sense to everyone else. will that work to cycle the shield in the projector? also, when i flip the switch for the high beams, will my low beams still stay on if i wire it like this? thanks

joe

with a bi xenon projector there is really no such thing as a bi xenon bulb because the projector solenoid is what controls the high beam. One bulb is both high and low beams in a bi xenon projector, it is just the way the projector throws off the light. I'm a little confused on what you are trying to do with the wiring but on my setup i have a bi xenon hid kit that has a little plug meant for the solenoid, when you flip the high beams the solenoid pulls the shield to allow the light to shine up as high beams.

i can get you some pics if you want.

also the high beam wire on the harness will work if you plug it in to the projectors high beam wire, there is no need to run another wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
this i know. i cut the plug off the projector to fit it through the housing. now, i re-pinned my 9007 plug for my 5000k's and i have the extra pin slot for the high beams. did you buy the harness from trs.com? because i didnt, thats the only problem ive run into. i was also concerned about what happens when you flip the high beam switch.

example with stock halogens: when you go to highs, it cuts the power to the lows.

i have to wire the projector solenoid(red and black wires). can i run it to the high beam spot in the plug? see pic below

74a534fede46032249ed6eecae05e43e.jpg

i have a chepo ebay hid kit with a 9007 harness and it has the connector that plugs into the solenoid thing that you sniped off, on mine i had to plug 3 wired into the stock harness but you have to figure out which wire goes where on that stock harness. As long as your hid harness is properly grounded you will be good. the stock harness has pin holes, 2 are 12v and ground, one is for lows one is for highs, you shouldn't have a problem figuring out + and - but the third wire on your harness will be for the highs providing it is a high/low hid harness, this is the one that needs to go in the right way for your highs to operate. if you put it in the wrong pinhole on the factory harness your highs/lows will be in reverse, if so just put the wire in the other hole.

i would assume you could try and hook the red wire to the high beam slot and ground the other, i know the solenoid operates off 12v, you might need the bi xenon harness but i am not sure.

maybe you can confirm or provide any further info... see link of same post at explorerforum.com

Honestly you life will be way easier is you use this harness,

http://store.sharphid.com/product_p/hidwireharness.htm

there are pins that plug to the stock harness which their only purpose is to signal high beams and when to turn the power on/off to the ballasts, this also draws right from the battery.

I suggest just getting this that way you know the wiring is right and is far less hassle.

This is the same one i have, one of my cheap ballast crapped out and shorted, the harness has built in fuse to protect factory wiring, it is safer to spend a bit extra.

so i broke down and bought the $35 harness from trs.com. it fixes all problems stated above and even has a spot for the projectors. i uploaded the info in my library.