Project back on track...maybe

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
After waiting for what seems like an eternity the body shop that I entrusted with painting my 1970 Mach 1 is almost done with it. I stopped there last week and to my amazement they actually had paint on the car. The color is the original grabber blue with black interior. I had them paint the car using urethane base coat-clear coat which should be more durable that the original acrylic enamel. The only things left to paint are the flat black hood scoop and hood stripes. They said that should be done in the next couple of weeks. The car looks absolutely awesome so far.

The next step will be to get the car back to my garage so I can start reassembling it. When they got the car from me it was just a rolling shell on which I had replaced about 75% of the sheet metal and unibody along with all of the suspension. I would not have put so much effort into this car except for the fact that it is an original Q-code 428 CJ, 4-speed car. The engine and trans have been sitting in my garage for way too long just waiting on the body to come back. I also have all new wiring, a new interior, new glass and new exterior trim to install.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I guess I was just so surprised that they had actually done something that I never even thought about getting any pics. They got the car in May of 2010 and the original plan was to have it painted by the end of August, 2010. That's well over two years ago. I had already completed most of the body work before they got the car. All they had to do was block sand it and spray the flippin thing. It didn't even have any glass in it to mask off.

I wish I could say it was worth the wait but it would have to have some precious metals embedded in the paint for that to be true. I just hope I can remember how it goes back together.:banghead:

I even bought a 68 big-block Cougar in 2011 just so I would have something to fool with while I was waiting to get the Mustang back. Here is a pic of the Cougar just so you will have something to look at until I can snap a few of the Mach 1.

[Broken External Image]:

I could look at Cougar pictures all day. In fact, I have probably done that before.

The Mach 1 sounds like an awesome machine. Looking forward to the pictures. Can't believe it took that long. That's more than a full restoration time frame for some shops.

Here are a few pics of the Mach 1 before it went to the body shop.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Certainly a car that deserves a proper restoration.

I probably have over 400 pics of the process of getting the car ready for paint. The new parts I installed in my garage include a one piece floor pan, trunk floor, tail light panel, one rear frame rail, three out of the four torque boxes, front fender aprons, front frame rails, shock towers, core support and both doors. I also replaced rusted sections of the firewall and cowl. This probably would have been a good candidate for one of the new Dynacorn body shells if I had not had most of the work done before those became available. Here are just a few pics of some of the major parts:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Eddie, don't tempt me. :grin:

Seriously though, I am not even close to having it all back together. Who knows, it could be another two years before they get the stripes painted. Besides, it might not be worth much once I get my grimy hands on it again.

To answer your question, sort of, when I started this project I had no intention of ever selling it. Like most Ford fanatics I have always wanted a bigblock classic Mustang. But with the values of these things and the cost of restoring one it is hard to imagine actually driving it. I have also learned to never say never.

BTW, I just bought one of these things to hang in the garage, only in Grabber Blue, of course. :supercool:

[Broken External Image]:

Roger,

As I said, the 1970 has always' been my fav. My dream was to find a '70 Boss 429. That will never happen. So few and the $$. Next up '70 Mach 1. Neither will ever happen now. So I dream.....LOL

Also, before disability and divorce. When the funds were there. I hoped that even just a complete '70 body. I would gut it. Modern suspension, Motor, seats and such. Keeping the outside OEM. That has disapeared also...LOL

I have been thru many pony cars and coupe's. The Fords never let me down. If it broke I did it.

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to updates.

Eddie,

Funny you should mention the Boss 429. Believe it or not the first car I ever owned was a 69 Boss 429. I found it for sale in a local paper back in about 1974 for $650. It no longer had an engine but other than that it was all there including the KK serial number. It was Black Jade. The original owner supposedly blew the engine on the drag strip, fell on hard times and the guy I bought it from somehow ended up with it. It still had the original rear axle but when I got it it had a 4.57 gear with a Detroit Locker. I ran it for a few years with a 351 before selling it to a guy who claimed to have another one that had been wrecked. There was no way I was ever going to find an original Boss 429 engine much less afford one back then. He said he was going to use the two cars to make one. Last I heard he never touched it and it was still sitting in a building at his bone yard with a bunch of other early Stangs. I have obviously been kicking myself ever since. I guess the Mach 1 is redemption for my earlier sins, or something like that. :sad:

My ultimate plan for the Cougar is to pull the 390 and replace it with a 5.0L Coyote, add modern suspension, etc. Who knows if that will ever happen...

The Mach 1 was delivered earlier today. I tried to get a couple of pics but the photo quality is pretty horrid. I will get some better pics later. These do not do the car justice.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

You know, I now live in New Franklin and it would be a good destination for the first trip in that car...LOL

Tom

Tom, the next trip that car makes will be in the trailer on its way back to New Franklin where all the rest of the parts are. Those pics were taken in the garage at my other house in PA. A lot of work to do before it makes any trips under its own power. :grin:

Latest posts