problem with Winstar Van

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eldon Webb

Reaction score
I have a problem with my daughters 98 Winstar van. The engine RPM's run up and down and it dies at stop lights, but not all the time. Could it be the same vacuum leak that we have with out Tracs? Any help or opinions would be appreciated.:unsure:

Do the RPM's raise and lower while driving or while stopped?

If stopped, then I think you have an IAC issue. That would also explain it stalling at lights.

ahhh winDstar... in addition to the IAC, when's the last time the air filter was changed in it?

Talk about me picking on my vernaculars, spelling or whatever!!!

Yes, Eldon, it is a Win"D"star!, but I ain't gonna pick at tha' spellin'!

You said it was a '98, so I'm guessing that it may need some maintenance, such as tune up,

by now. If you could let me or Tom know some more specifics, we can help you out!

Do you have a service history, etc... When was the last time a tune-up or air filter replacement

was done on it? If you might be able to let us know, we can give you a better idea

of what type of service might need to be done on it!

I'm guessing it probably has close to, if not, over 100,000 miles. That is a whole new

mainteniance schedule!

Let us know, Eldon, and Tom and I, and I'm sure some others, can give you good tune-up

and maintenance advice!:D

tracnblack, I got chewed out for simply asking someone to use a period at the end of a sentence. I guess there is a double set of rules. Oh well. I am not one that cares if anyone likes me. I like me and that is the only one that really matters to me...

On with the topic, Forst off, the 3.8" engine is not similar to the Trac's engine. SOHC and OHV, IIRC 90 degree "V" to a 60 degree "V", Smaller displacement...etc. They are about as alike as a 5.0L to a 4.6 L. Enough with that.

As with any engine, mileage is a major factor in deciding how to tackle a problem. Always cover your bases. If you finally have to take it somewhere, you avoid the regular BS "You need new plugs".."Nope, just been changed"..."Then your wires need replaced".."Nope those have been changed too, along with the fuel filter, and air filter. The oil was just changed too."..."Well, I guess I will have to find the problem". Not doing the basics ahead of time can and will cost a buttload of cash..and that doesn't guarantee to actually fix the problem.

Once we know the mileage, we can give you a heads up on how to tackle the problem.

Tom

And, also, Eldon, any other maintenance history on your vehicle that you may have gotten

with it, or that you may have performed on it, yourself, since you purchased it!

This will be a big help in diagnosing the problem.

Thanks

tnb out!:)

I just thought it was funny he spelled the name of the car wrong not once, not twice, but 3 times. Figured he'd notice it after I asked :)

"Once, Twice, Three times a Pisser and Moaner, ..."

Oh, sorry. That was supposed to be "Once, Twice, Three times a Lady!".

My Bad!. :D

Oh, and Darin,

It's not a "car", it's a Mini-Van!

As I said, ..."Picking at the Vernaculiar", and/or punctuation.

We all need to "Quit That!". Myself included, and get back to helping the people on this

site that really need our help!

Again, I need to quit picking!!!:(:rolleyes::)

OK Guys, The Windstar van is a 98 with 70K and as far as I know has never had a tune up of any kind. My daughter bought it used a month ago. Last week we had the torque converter replaced. it was misaligned at the factory and started slipping when the vehicle got hot on the freeway and pumped 5 quarts of fluid out when the tranny quit working. After a $250.00 tow bill and a $1,400.00 shop bill, it runs pretty good except for the earlier mentioned idle and slow speed problems. The mechanic replaced the tranny filter, fuel filter, and air filter too. This next week-end I plan to look under the hood and see what I can figure out. Any help would be appreciated. At least I got the name right this time.:(