Problem with a 99 F150 - Oil dipstick missing / creamy oil and white smoke

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
I have a problem with a 99 F150. I had an oil change shop in the spring change the oil. I never thought about checking the dip stick or anything, just change and go. Well I noticed some white smoke coming from the tail pipe, which usually means headgasket, but the coolant is good level and green. No signs of oil in the coolant, which was changed at 65K. Miles on it now are 95K. All the other fluids are great and normal. Could moisture entered through the dip stick tube to cause the creamy oil and white smoke?

Al,

SOME moisture can come in thru the dipstick tube, but I dont think enough to make the oil mikly. Keep in mind, a bad head gasket or cracked head, will not always allow oil into the coolant. It can allow coolant into the oil without allowing oil into coolant. Have a pressure check done on the radiator. If it comes back OK, then take the next step.

Assuming the truck is running fine, (no miss, no rough idle) You still have an issue because even if this was condensation, the milky oil will damage main and rod bearings. To check I would suggest waiting overnight then draining the oil slowly. any water should be on the bottom of the pan, and would drain out first. Watch closely and then change the oil. (Use cheap oil and filter) Then run it for a day or two, carefully watching the coolant and oil levels and condition. Then drain again to see if you have water in the oil again. if you do, start thinking about engie overhaul due to bearings.

I certainly dont know everything, but this is my .02 worth.

Good Luck.

I'd say it's got a coolant leak into the oil, head gasket or some other place, not too familair with that particular motor but am with a coolant leak and that sounds like it from what you described.

If the crack location is in a low (or no) oil pressure spot, then the only pressure it sees is the coolant pressure, so there isn't any pressure pushing oil into the coolant, but there is coolant going into the oil. There are lots of places in engines that are open to oil but there isn't any oil pressure there, but there aren't any places open to coolant that coolant doesn't get to.

Latest posts