Pricing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
check Edmunds, KBB, NADAguides etc for a general idea. However, they are just guides and to not give you an exact value. Try hitting the dealership you bought the vehicle from.

I took an 08 ST Limited 4x4 V8 in on trade. Sunroof, sliding rear glass, Limited electronics pkg, Chrome package, car starter and well....it had everything but the nav. Sticker was something to the tune of $37,495 If I recall. It has 2,800 miles on it. We Certified it and put a $29,995 price tag on it. You can bet we didn't give that for it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one listed for $27,995. I first saw it listed about two months ago, and they were asking $28,995. Obviously, they're having a hard time selling it if they reduced it by $1,000. I wonder how much more they'd come down to get rid of it...:huh:

I just purchased a brand new 2008 4x4 Limited with a sticker of $33,165 for $27,465 before the Ford rebate, which in my area was $2,500. That took the selling price to $24,965.

DougS,

First, welcome aboard!

Your say your purchase price was before any incentives/rebates? So does that mean you negotiated with the dealer down to $27,465 from the MSRP of $33,165? If so, that's pretty good! And did you have a trade-in? I'm sure that's well below dealer invoice (even when factoring in holdback), so it would appear that the dealer lost money on your sale. They must've really wanted to sell that ST.

So he is saying that a dealer gave up $5700 on a new vehicle before rebates? Did they inflate their MSRP to absorb some negative equity in your trade? I've heard of this happening at some dealerships. I don't do this but many do.

The margins on todays new cars are usually under $3000. Most are around $1500 profit.

Unless he got rebates and X-plan or some other plan due to his employment or maybe D-plan because he is related to a Ford employee, I can't see how that price is possible before rebates. But then again I've closed a couple deals in my career that seemed insane. Sounds fishy.

Even with A/D/X-plan pricing, it would still appear that the dealer took a huge loss on that ST if the price was before rebates. You're right, it doesn't add up and sounds fishy.

MSRP markup on a Sport Trac?:huh: You're right, that's highly unlikely. I would really like to see the numbers breakdown of this transaction.:blink:

The reason the dealer said they were discounting it so much was that it had been sitting on their showroom floor since November '07 and they needed to sell it because it had been in their inventory too long. Nobody seemed to want it because it has the V-6 in it, (actually I wanted the V-8 also, but I just could not pass up the deal). I leasd it for 2 years through Ford Credit, and the price figures I gave you are what is on the paperwork. The $2,500 rebate breaks down as this: $1,000 rebate and $1,500 lease loyalty rebate, I was currently leasing an F-150 that was ending, so I had no trade in, just the lease turn in. The MSRP of $33,165 is what was on the standard Ford window sticker, and the dealer told me invoice was something like ~ $31,400.

DougS, your deal sounds about right to me...I got a similar deal in '04 when buying my '04. Ended up walking out the door paying $24k on a $32k MSRP ST.

But back to the question...I wouldn't pay $27k for a used '08 with 6k miles when you will no doubt be able to pay less, and get a better finance rate for a NEW '08 ST in just a few short months.

TJR

That is what I was getting at with posting the price I paid. Comparison on the used '08 vs. a new '08.

So essentially, the dealer took a huge loss on that vehicle just to get rid of it. They lost money on the interest paid while sitting on the lot since November, and they sold it way below their invoice.

All the better for the buyer, I guess. It's definitely a buyer's market right now for trucks/suv's.

Not even 20min ago, I just sold and delivered a 2008 Mark LT we got in Dec of 07. List of $47205. Selling price was: $41945. Discounts were: Retail Customer Cash of $6500 and Ford Credit Bonus of $750. So the customer is paying $34,695 for the truck alone.

Thats less than the V8 AWD STA for 08....

We took a huge loss to get rid of it. It was our last one and the Mark LT is toast. This was it's last year.

Latest posts