Pricing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike burns 3

Reaction score
In the market for a new (to me) Gen 1 for a VT winter driver. Need 4X4 and would like heated seats. Is there a good place to get the current market price? Looked at a few on autotrader.com and the asking price was much more that Kelly Blue Book.

Look at Edmunds.com as well as Kelly BlueBook: KBB.com The provide used vehicle prices and show private party selling prices, dealer selling prices and trade-in values...they are all very different.

The big problem with just looking at ads for vehicles for sale is you are seeing only "Asking Prices". These prices are often inflated assuming that their will be some negotiations to lower the price. There is often a big difference between the Asking Price and the Actual Selling Price. Edmunds and KBB websites only shows an average of the "Actual Selling Prices" in your zipcode area. Differences between Edmunds and KBB will be small, and should be used as a price range.

Be very carefull on the condition of the vehicle. Read Edmunds and KBB's definitions of "Excellent", "Good" "Fair" etc, conditions Most sellers will overrate the condition of the vehicle they are selling (typically, at least one condition rating higher than the true condition)

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
MikeVT,

Here in Colorado Springs all 4x4 and AWD vehicles are sold at a premium regardless of condition (as far as I can tell). I walked through the Service / Sales department on my way to Parts at my local Ford dealership... In Sales, I saw a big white-board that said "We want your 4x4!!!" and listed off a number of models in demand.

I'm glad I already have one... no chance I'm letting it go. Geography may be your limiter. I bought my ST in Texas, where 4x4 wasn't so much of a qualifier for price.

Another good site is www.cargurus.com They attempt to put the vehicle in prospective related to other similar type sales. They will also tell you how long the vehicle has been on the market, if the pricing has been reduced and also if they think this is a fair market price, below market or inflated. JEFF

4X4 along with the trim level does drive the price up. I have a 01 now but its getting high on the mileage and starting to show the effects of living in VT. I like the Gen1 but some of the asking prices I could almost get a Gen2.

Mike,

Wife and I met in college in Castleton 15 years ago. Even then, these was a premium price for AWD (obviously not talking SportTrac) in Vermont. Remember, the market dictates the price. Our first trip to Iowa I noticed the price of vehicles, especially trucks, was a lot lower. More on the market, less wear and tear due to road salt, etc.

Look for the best deal near you. Then look online and see if shipping it still makes it a good deal.

This will give you an idea of regional market prices, be careful with CL though.

Latest posts