Price of E-85 ????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew W

Reaction score
Went past a Kroger's store today that is selling E-85 (first one i've seen in my area), and it was listed at $2.35/gal & reg. unleaded was at $2.55/gal ... considering the mpg difference, it actually makes regular unleaded more cost effective !! (less than 9% cheaper with 20-35 % less mpg ??) Can't I just buy some green units like Al Gore did with his electricity bill ???:p

I have seen several articles, as well as TV specials about the benifits of E85 and they all come to the same conclusion...E85 has no benifit to your wallet, your vehicle, or the environment.

The main reason is, you get worse MPG than you do with Regular gas...forcing you to use more gas to make up for the loss of MPG.

A station near me re-did the tanks and pumps in order to start selling E85. Price for regular unleaded was 2.23 & 1.59 for E85 yesterday. Today, the unleaded was raised to 2.37 and the E85 to 1.69.

I've read about the lower MPG with the E85 but the price difference here is leaning me towards the E85. If anything, just to make my own comparisons. I don't have a lead foot and usually range in the 2000-2500 rpm range during day to day commuting with an average of 19-20 mpg. If the mpg to $ ratio is fairly close, I'm leaning toward going green with the E85. My only concern is with the (as far as I know) the power loss and long term effects of running the E85. That for me is the sticking point.

If I decide to go green, I'll relay the results...

Last edited by a moderator:
E-85 is always about 30-40 cents per gallon cheaper here. I buy it because it's made 5 miles away from me with corn that was grown in the area last summer.

I'd probably buy it if was the same price as regular gas. I'd much rather buy a fuel that was produced from the ground up in the US than give my money to Saudi Arabia, Iran, Venezuela, etc.

Last year I burned almost 1200 gallons of E85. That equates to about 1000 gallons of ethanol and only 200 gallons of gasoline.

I'd like to see some facts that back up Kevin's claims about its lack of benefits. Here are a few quick facts from ethanol.org about ethanol fuel:

* Ethanol blends are likely to reduce carbon monoxide emissions in vehicles by between 10% - 30%, depending upon the combustion technology. (U.S. EPA)

* The American Lung Association of Metropolitan Chicago credits ethanol-blended fuel with reducing smog-forming emissions by 25% since 1990.

* The use of 10% ethanol blends reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 12-19% compared to conventional gasoline. (Argonne National Lab)

* In 2004, ethanol use in the U.S. reduced CO2-equivalent greenhouse gas emissions by approximately 7 million tons, equal to removing the emissions of more than 1 million cars from the road. (Argonne National Lab)

* Research shows a 35-46% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions and a 50-60% reduction in fossil energy use due to the use of ethanol as a motor fuel. (Argonne National Lab)

* Ethanol contains 35% oxygen, making it burn more cleanly and completely than gasoline.

* E85 has the highest oxygen content of any fuel available, making it burn even more cleanly and even more completely than any other fuel.

* E85 contains 80% fewer gum-forming compounds than gasoline.

* Ethanol is highly biodegradable, making it safer for the environment.

So, you decide, what's better for you. For me, I burned 1000 fewer gallons of gas last year.

Thanks for the run down Gene. Very well done.

Statictics can most always show what you want them to show. Not that I dis-believe them, but they did come from ethanol.org who can only benefit from the positive #'s. While those #'s are impressive, I can not find any negatives regarding E85 on their site. That's what I'm interested in. Surely there are some. I would also like to know what unit of measure they used. If those #'s are based on a gallon to gallon comparison, which I'm guessing they are, then they are most likely correct. But if based on a mile per gallon comparison, I believe they would be much lower.

The only real benefits I can see with the E85 is lower fossil fuel dependence, and the positive impact to our agricultural business, while keeping the $ in the US. And I must say, they are very compelling reasons and enough for us to make the switch. Even if the real #'s are comparable to fossile fuels when done per a mpg method.

Last edited by a moderator:
While those #'s are impressive, I can not find any negatives regarding E85 on their site. That's what I'm interested in. Surely there are some.

Price of food goes up because of increased demand for corn. Not just Corn Flakes, but most of the meat you eat got there from eating corn before it was wrapped in plastic. I heard they're close to rioting in Mexico because the price of tortillas has tripled in the last year and that's one of their staple foods. They buy much of their corn from us, and we're using more of it to make ethanol. Linky-linky----V

Agriculture uses a crapload of diesel fuel to produce food and get it to market. That gets to be way too long a discussion for this forum, but you can look up some stuff on that. I've heard of a few studies finding that between the lower mpg and the energy used to produce and transport it, ethanol ends up being a net negative, i.e. it takes more energy to produce it than the ethanol produces itself. For example you cannot move it through pipelines, it must be shipped by truck and/or train.

Yes, as a matter of fact I do have a degree in economics. ;)

Let me see...Consumer Reports, ABC National News, and my local TV station did a story on it. The loss of E85 MPG was generally 15% over gasoline, and E85 is 85% gasoline...so it only makes sense.

Come on...George Bush pushes it...it must be bad!