Pretty good article on open-wheel racing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read this the other night, pretty damn accurate too... Back 'in the day', open wheel rivaled NASCAR in terms of viewers and sponsors. Then came the split...

People like Michael Andretti, who made their careers in CART, then switching over to the IRL and forgetting that they were ever even involved with CART, while they make the IRL into CART lite... makes me wanna puke!

I agree that the article is right on. I barely watch a lap of the Indy 500 as opposed to the race dictating my Sunday viewing in the past. Both series are boring and if it wasn't for Paul Tracy being a general idiot on the track and pits, I probably would watch less to no Champ car races.

A.J. Foyt couldn't win anymore in CART, so he got with Tony George, saying CART was too expensive and didn't have any American drivers, and created the IRL. So what does he have now? A league of hyperexpensive crapwagons with a bunch of foreign drivers. And he STILL CAN'T WIN!! Shame, shame,shame on the Andretti's, Penske, Rahal, and Ganassi. If they had stuck to their CART/USAC roots, the IRL would be gone and we'd have a viable, exciting open-wheeled league. IRL sucks.

Bill, I have only heard a few people refer to the cars as crapwagons. Typically, it was around Champ car fans or a bunch of the guys I know on the YFDS forums.

It's also plain boring. Champ Car is lucky to get 17 cars in a field. The most I've seen is 22 cars. Ends up being a lapping day not wheel to wheel racing.

Even going into the pits is boring. Each team covers up their pits so well you can't see anything. It's no wonder the fan base is so poor at events.

I remember going to the Houston CART race in '98, and walking through the paddock area. Being able to see, touch, smell the cars, watch the tech inspections, and actually talking to Michael, Juan Pablo, Tony Kanaan, Jimmy Vassar, Al Jr, Dan Gurney, to name a few. And all that on just a pit pass that anyone could buy. The only things covered-up on the cars were the front and rear wings.