Pre Interview tests

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Roberson

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had the 'secret' answers for the psychological part of the test. In the past I have taken these test and have passed all the math, mechanical test but for some reason don't have the right answers for psych test. So if anybody has any secrets or websites that contain information it is much appreciated. I am taking a test on friday for the natural gas company and really want this job.

I know at Target there is a question about whether you think the glass is half full or half empty. People who put half empty are rejected. This seems to make for a much more cheerful team. Might just be one question, but it may help.

They are looking for two things on those tests.

1-Do you think there actually are people out to get you

and

2-How consistently, or non-consistently, you answer the questions

As you probably know, they ask a lot of the same type of question in a different verbage. They are looking to see if you are consistent in thinking that there is some one lurking in the background or if you consistently denying that there is.

You have to fall somewhere in the middle. Too far on either end of the spectrum is bad to passing the test. The idea is that either you are paranoid or you are trying too hard to pass the test.

Still not sure how I've managed to pass when I had to take them, :blink:, but this is the basic of what I have read/heard about what the test is about.

This is one of the problems with America. You get "psych tests" for jobs at Target store yet the CEO is probably on the board of NAMBLA.

Aside from the fact that they want a bunch of mindless droids working for them, I think that when the job application is replaced by a kiosk or a software package, and you just want a bunch of clones, that should fall under discriminatory practices.

In case you can't already tell, I would probably fail miserably. I do everything right, so I'm viewed as "negative" by my employer. Fsck corporate america, lately everything wrong with this country seems to have an MBA behind it with some head-up-their-@$$ idea of what is a good management, business, or leadership practice, principle, strategy, etc...

Not that I have a problem with competition or competancy testing. I remember when I took the test for NYNEX, during the first part there were about 50 people in the room. After the first part of the "weeding out" process, they called out 6 names and asked us to leave the room and stand in the hall. How embarassing as a few people still in the room chuckled at us, made comments, etc... then the proctor says "the rest of you are dismissed, please leave the room, the security guards will show you out of the building."

I realized then the need for companies to test for competance, but some of the profiling being done just flat out leaves many qualified persons out of work. As it stands, certain HR software packages are standard across the business world. If you strike a negative on one of their "qualities", you could effectively be blacklisted worldwide by any company that uses the software.

Consistency consistency consistency.

In other words, if you hate your in-laws in question 12, do not say that you like them in question 287....

They really do not care if you hate them or believe in ghosts, so answer honestly as it will help with the consistency..

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone has good suggestions and seems to be the truth. Consistency is the big key I do remember that part I have told people its 30 questions asked 60 times in different wording.

I haven't posted in a long time since I sold my ST but still linger from time to time.

I felt compelled to respond to Nobleman's comment about HR. Having worked in HR for 8 years now, I've never heard of this list that is maintained which will "blacklist" you from companies. I would find it hard to believe this information can be shared due to all of the privacy laws that are out there.

Curious as to which companies use this and the name of the software.

marc

http://www.news.com/Need-a-job-Dont-use-a-Mac/2100-1046_3-5917696.html?part=rss&tag=5917696&subj=news

http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/legal-services-litigation/5762023-1.html

I felt compelled to respond to Nobleman's comment about HR. Having worked in HR for 8 years now, I've never heard of this list that is maintained which will "blacklist" you from companies. I would find it hard to believe this information can be shared due to all of the privacy laws that are out there.

Ever hear of a credit report? That is the oldest example and one of the biggest sources of inaccurate information. It took me years to straighten out my credit report, place a lock on it for new credit, and I must be diligent enough to review it every 6 months and make sure I have hard documentation from every creditor about the status of closed or paid accounts. Get this, I'm not even a victim of identity theft, just misinformation.

Recently I got the hunch to do my own background check, since when I went for a new license it was flagged. They asked me if I have ever been to or was wanted in Colorado, but apparently I don't match the description because I could hear the clerk saying "this is not the guy, no, not even close." That should be fun, I'll see when I get the time to do that.

There are plenty of "applicant management / tracking programs" which require you to accept a company's terms as a condition of application. This usually includes background screening, and possibly sharing your information with relevant 3rd parties. (what privacy act?) All it takes is one breach of security or policy at any one of these 3rd parties...

I don't see it long before these applications are hosted by the software company as an application service. It is not a far stretch to see that you can apply into their hiring database and be dropped to the bottom of a pool of candidates which several companies browse, thereby decimating an applicant's chances. That is if you can even get to apply because of various technology concerns, issues, or knowledge.

It is also simple to use these databases to filter candidates, simply by saying "filter out all the online university degrees". "filter out anyone that didn't list Windows as a skill".

You don't even need a computer to discriminate, I've seen it done by looking at graduation dates, experience, any number of things. Tech just simplifies it.

We need to meet our EEOC numbers, filter a list of qualified minority applicants (that could discriminate 2 ways no?)

All this is being done in the name of efficiency, yet some people have never used a computer and just want a job mopping the floor. Maybe if they got that job mopping the floor, they could afford to better themselves and move up the ladder.

Marc,,I found out through the grapevine why I was denied a job. Someone at my former employer of 36yrs bad mouthed me. I have been trying to find out what was said by who. The info relayed to me(by an insider) the interviewer was to be my boss and he chose me. Their HR told him not to, because of something that was told to them by my previous employer. 36yrs and a clean record. Layed off because of cut backs, by senoirity. 4 of us in the shop, kept the two seniors.

Privacy and "no" blacklist is all BULSH***T. It will be up to the individual to prove it.

Another common practice is to call a previous employer for a reference.

Your previous employer has a neutral reference policy.

"yes, s/he worked here from x to y, made $x anually, and had the title director of x."

"Could you give me a personal reference then, not on the record for the company?"

"He was a smoking, drinking, lazy, late, s.o.b. that slept with my dog."

"Okay, thank you."

There are services which will call your employers on the premise of a reference check and report to you what they are told. You can google them.

Good luck with that! The way I see it is if you have all the right answers all the time for those type of tests then you are either a psychopath or way too smart for your own good.

These tests are just nuts I took one for another job I had passed the math, mechanical, and some other had a interview by two different people they wanted to hire me. Then the lady came back in and said im sorry to inform you but you didnt pass the psych test so we are unable to hire you we really wanted to. It turned out to be ok because just a few months later their doors closed. I really don't understand the test I think of myself as a straight edged guy but these tests are twisted.

Bottom line.....I would not apply for a job at a company that tried to get me to take a test like that.

Fast Eddie,

I don't know how true this is, but I have been told by reputable sources that if a potential employer contacts a previous employer to discuss your past employment the only thing that previous employer can LEGALLY tell is the dates you were employed, salary and the position you had. Anything untruthful and disparaging is grounds for a lawsuit, IMHO.

See the following excerpt:

What can my former employer say about me?

Often a potential employer will contact an applicant's past employers. A former boss can say anything [truthful] about your performance. However, most employers have a policy to only confirm dates of employment, final salary, and other limited information.

Which I got from:

Just be honest. Lowe's has a major test like that, I was honest and I got a job. Tevil is right, they are testing your consistency. I saw a lot of the same questions with very slight differences, but the essentially the same question. But Lowe's wasn't that great of a job. Target sounds the same. All that crap you have to go through and they don't pay you very much or treat you very well. So, I guess it depends on how bad you want the job.

Tommy

Tommy,

I left my job at Advance because Target was paying MUCH better, almost 50% more than I was making, which is a lot to a college student. I passed the electronic test, and three interviews with the HR rep, Assets Protection Team Leader, and with the District Assets Protection Team Leader. I also had to pass background and credit checks for my position. I only have one boss and one co-worker. My boss only has one boss, and her boss only has one boss. It is a very no-bs position. I see new cashiers every other week, but the guy who had my position before me got promoted to his own store, which is where I hope to end up. I didn't burn any bridges leaving my old job, and I'm still technically on the payroll for seasonal and will probably work both jobs over the summer. I told my old boss if he could get to $XX.XX I would stay. He said he couldn't match $XX.XX and he understood that I had to do what was in my best interest, shook my hand and told me I was welcome back if I wanted the job.

Latest posts