Pre-Cat delete

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Park 2

Reaction score
Ok, So right now I have dual straight pipes, with my 2 cats and 2 pre-cats. Was wondering If I was to delete the 2 pre-cats and weld pipes in replace, would I be able to pass emissions. I would also like to know if there are any gains in this, like low end or high end. or neither. And if deleting the 2 pre-cats make the exhaust any louder. The pipes are 2.25". don't know if thats inside or outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be prepared to throw a lean error code "check engine" light with a missing cat. The O2 sensor will trigger it and possibly have the engine adjust to compensate. If anything, you might gain more back pressure (probably not) and maybe 1 HP. And, it will be louder.

What are you trying to gain from it because I see zero benefits but lots of potential problems. Oh, and if it's under warranty? Consider it no longer after removing it.

I do not think you would be able to tell the difference you would have to take all of the cats off

to be able to tell the defference it will be louder.

Just buy a Y-pipe, as that's what its doing. It removes the pre-cats and strighens up the exhaust tubing from the manifolds to the rest of the system.

If I was to change it to say...Flowmaster 40 series, You think that would make it more of a deep bubbly kind of sound?

Last edited by a moderator:
You will not throw an error code. I have run my ST with no tune for over a week with no codes.

I'm not really sure there, karma. I'm not real familiar with what each of the exhuasts sound like. Spaceman Spiff has a project with a slew of exhuast sound clips that is worth a listen to help decide what each one sounds like.

Latest posts