Prairie Dog Hunting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Koch

Reaction score
This is way off topic but there has to be some hunters on the site......I need to purchase a rifle for small game hunting......something for prairie dogs and rabbits. I'm thinking a .22 with maybe a 10X scope.....it will be used in South Dakota on the farm with shots of about 75 - 150 yards.....any advice...

Be sure to use 22 long rifles,and set back a ways.If you can make a high whistle sound they will stand up for you.22.250's are good as well._Ron

Check out a Savage Model 12. 223 or 22-250 would be great. The Savage rifles are priced very nicely and you won't find a more accurate rifle (without spending the big bucks). The accutrigger is great in my opinion. I like a very light trigger and the accutrigger allows you to adjust it very light while maintaining safety. Many great scopes out there. More a matter of how much you want to spend. I have a Burris 4.5x14 42mm on my .308 and it works great. The ballistic plex reticle makes compensating for range a no brainer.

South Dakota huh? Thats where I'm from. A nice 22-250 is my suggestion. .22's are nice but dont have the accuaracy of a 22-250. But since you are shooting pretty close, a good .22 will probably do good as well.

I am with PRM. A Savage .223 is the only way to go. Savage has a reputation for affordable quality and as mentioned the 'accutrigger' is very nice. .223 rounds are inexpensive. I feel that a .22lr is not enough stopping force. Ideally you want to keep the game from ducking back into a hole after it is hit. A good scope will be very important for your specific scenario and may be a bigger concern than caliber. A head shot with .22lr at 100 yds would certainly take a rabbit/prairie dog instantly. The .223 will give you better range accuracy and a little more stopping power if you miss your head shot.

My uncle was an advid hunter and particularly groundhogs/wood chucks. He used a 22 Hornet which I think is similar to a 22-250 or even a 223. They were copper jacketed bullets with a long, necked down cartridge that look like it would handle a 30 caliber round, but a little shorter than the 223 round.

...Rich

Did a lot of rabbit hunting as a kid with an iron sight .22 and it works great...to a point. You mentioned going out to 150 yards. That would be pretty tough with a .22 due to drop and wind drift. Another one I failed to mention is the .17. Very inexpensive (rifle and ammo) and it would certainly do what you are looking to do. My son has a .17 and it shoots great. The big plus to the .17 is that you can shoot all day for next to nothing ~$5-6 for a box of 50 (like a .22). A .223 will be ~$15 for a box of 50 while a 22-250 will be ~$20 for a box of 20. Those are all very round numbers, you could shop around and find better or worse prices. Happy hunting.

I always used a .22 with hollow points. The hollow points ensured an instant kill, when I used regular .22 shells they would often crawl away after being shot.

My friend has guide hunts in Wyoming if anyone is interested!

Lots of long range shots out there!

I think that doggone video was even made out there!

Latest posts