Power Window Failure

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Sorlie

Reaction score
Which the '02 Trac I passed to my son has inop power windows all of the sudden. None works from driver's door switch, and all other windows don't work neither from their individual switches. 7.5A fuse at side of dashboard looks intact, as does the fuse/relay in the underhood box. Not going to roam junkyards trying to find a used multi-switch, so this afternoon I sidles up to dealership Parts counter and traded a Franklin for Ford p/n 1L5Z-14529-AB. Nothing gives focus to a DIYer like buying $100 non-refundable electrical parts, eh? Will report progress.

Well, it wasn't the switch. Replaced that, plus the 7.5A fuse at side of dash and the 20A fuse under hood. All windows no workee. Guess next step is to look into wire bundle that passes into driver's door. Anyone have other suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Expenisive mistake....

The light blue/black wire at the switch is the main power wire. You should have 12 volts there with the key on. The solid black wire at the switch is ground. Check those first and let us know.

Thanks, l1tech. I should have started there of course, but got off-track listening to O'Reilly parts guy. Funny thing though - son calls me yesterday while driving and says windows are now working. Wondering now if he may have ignition switch gremlin. In follow-up conversation, he says windows don't work right away after start, but after a few minutes they do. Think I need to look at battery/charging system next.

Last edited by a moderator:
My master window fuse under the hood looked fine, but tested blown on my ohm meter. Replaced it and viola. Worked fine.

Had exactly the same problem with my 03. Got a unrefundable switch too. Turned out to be a broken wire between the door and body. My son crawled in and cut the boot open and found the wire which was broken (making intermittent contact until it broke totally) and put in a splice.

Everything works fine now. Either the hot or ground wire will be the one to look for.

I didn't troubleshoot in correct order, but all's well now with windows. Discarded the 20A underhood fuse, so don't know if that was the culprit. Think it was either that or the switch assy. I was sweating having to dive into the wire bundle.

Latest posts