Power Displacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
Ok, how do cars with FAR lower displacement in their engines produce more horsepower than those with greater displacement?

The buick 3800 series I engine is 3.8 L and makes 170 HP, give or take. The Vintage Gen1 ST is 4.0L of displacement, and makes what, 210 hp?

The hyundai sonata, with the v6 in the last generation (98-04) has 2.7 litres of displacement, yet it makes 173 hp. What is the tradeoff here? Lack of useful torque?

I bring this up because my friend is now driving one around, and he flaunts its driving abilities. The car does have a kick to it at low speeds, while accelerating, like it wants to jump up...so noticable that I, as a passenger, could feel it. Of course, my mom's toyota rav4 also has that low-speed-acceleration kick, but once you hit 65 mph, good luck going faster. After that, the car will not obey its master and accelerate. Of course, my mom believes that 65 mph is fast enough for all purposes (cough)....though I come from a family who has members who actually say things like "I have all the performance I need". Who can honestly say that? ;)

(certainly no one who goes to this site)

Anyhow, does the hyundai have any power to it, or is it all just gimmicks, and more importantly, how does the engine achieve such an unrealistically high hp rating...what does it loose, because we aren't burning gas with higher displacement for nothing. It must be torque, but I'm all confused by ratings.

The fact that Horsepower can be semanticized for the press has screwed my self-learned perception of performance: moving 500 pounds one foot, or moving one pound 500 feet is the same thing, in horsepower land, but it's a vastly different thing when it comes to actual performance. Are the high-displacement "man engines" more of the former, while the high-revving girly engines the latter?

Please help me correct my flawed learning here :)

Oh, and my friend has totally bought into the press hype of making a speedometer ranked higher than a car can actually go. The sonata is ranked on the speedometer to 160, and not even my insistence that the Police Interceptor Crown Victoria can only go 135 max from the factory could dissuade him from the notion that he could go that fast...though thankfully he refused to test it. Hyundai is an acronym meaning Hope you understand nothing is drivable and inexpensive, so I don't want to be in a high speed impact in one ;)

**Although, on my Vintage Buick LeSabre (I love that car, though she is totaled for the moment) I had a straight bar speedometer, and you *could* push the needle past the end of the number ranking ;)

(though my speedometer was heinously innacurate once you passed 40 mph...so I don't think I ever went 100+ mph--the car is limited to 107--but the speedometer would have shown it if I did...a tangent)

I'm no engineer and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I do know that as engines get smaller they rely on higher RPM to produce power. Also more valves and better flow give better volumetric efficiency however you need higher RPM to take advantage of that.

So you also have to look at what RPM different engines produce their peak power.

FWIW, my parents both drive quad-valve Cadillac Northstars that accelerate like a raped ape but knock down 27 mpg on the highway at a steady 70 mph.

You have about a zillion things to factor in to the equation. Stroke, bore, compression, air/fuel ratio, RPMs, etc. And that's just the engine. Then you have to factor in transmission gear ratios, differential gear ratios, final drive ratios, and computer programming for both the engine and transmission.

Anyone that goes over 60 in a Hyundai anything needs to be committed. They obviously are suicidal.

Don't think of the ratings for other motors as "unrealistically high", but as American motors are being "surprisingly low" for their displacement.

Example-

BMW V10 5.0L - 500 HP

Dodge V10 8.4L - 600 HP

The BMW makes 100 HP per liter, the Dodge 71 HP.

It's not like import motors makes less torque then American motors now, the '08 Focus comes in with 140 HP but 136 ft/lbs, while the '08 Sentra, with the same size motor, has the same 140 HP but with 147 ft/lbs.

Horsepower is nothing more then a mathematical calculation made from torque. In fact, all motors (gas powered at least) have the same HP and torque rating at 5252 RPM, regardless of rev-range, displacement, forced induction, etc.

Don't forget, weights, metals used, clearances, tire size, Weight of the vehicle, Computer and emissions controls,

the list is endless..

ALSO the high HP numbers posted directly effect your insurance rates in the USA...

So Mr BMW can afford the higher insurance so BMW shows the higher numbers..

Price out the difference between a mustang v6 and mustang GT.... Stock there is not a HUGE HP difference, BUT the insurance rates are way higher..

TOO many factor go into this crap

Todd Z

Don't think of the ratings for other motors as "unrealistically high", but as American motors are being "surprisingly low" for their displacement.

Exactly.

Another factor is the manufacturer downgrading the engine then slowly over the model years bumping it up. Hence why the new 4.0 comes with 254 ft/lbs of torque and the older 4.0 came with 245. Same engine different tuning or what have you. Or in cases like the Grand National GM allegedly downgraded the advertised HP to be lesser than the Vette. Manufacturers use power ratings as a marketing ploy more often than not.

The improts have to prove themselves, the American lines don't.

Our Motorhome has a 240 HP V8. 460 CI V8. The same HP out of a 2.0L DOHC Honda S2000 engine.

Out Motorhome will run over 80 MPH with the Ford engnine, where the Honda engine would not be able to get that 17,000 LBS moving.

Do not be a sucker to HP numbers. HP is imaginary.

Tom

Cadillac 3.4 liter V6 makes 304 HP at 6400 rpm and 273 ft/lb torque at 5200 rpm.

I don't think any of the posts so far cleared up much of anything for you...

Latest posts