Powder coating wheels

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J C

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with getting their wheels powdercoated? I was thinking about getting a set of powdercoated black, but a guy at a truck shop (not a powder coating company) told me that they might be scratched up when the tires are mounted. I have no experience with the mounting process, so i dont know if I should believe him or not. What do you think? Thanks

I believe they do this all the time..

A good tire shop has an aluminum rim mounting machine where if the user is good the machine NEVER touches the rim lip...

ALSO depending on the tire size you can mount them by hand, No tools needed...

Todd Z

As Todd said, most, tire places have the new machines that don't really "scrape" around the rim to get the tire on. Just be sure that the shop that does your tires has it. (Most "non-shadetree" places have them) Plus the powdercoating is tougher than you think. Yes it will scratch, but if done right, it is a pretty tough coating.;)

anyone able to photoshop these rims to make them black?

[Broken External Image]:

had the wheels on my 69 coronet powdercoated black.

after 10 years they still looked like the day they were put on

no scratches when the tires were mounted and i even used

dog dish hubcaps at one time with no problems.

just make sure you use an experienced powdercoater.

Thanks Rob! They look sweet. I think I am going to go with this set up.

You're very welcome...

but those wheels pictures have an 8 bolt pattern...

not to burst your bubble but thos won't fit...

unless you are using them just for color reference...

rob

[Broken External Image]:

Anyone know about relative cost of having 4 aluminum ones done? Appologies for the ambiguous question.... the finish (clearcoat) on my 15x8's has been gone since the previous owner (of the wheels) and polishing them is getting old!! Thanks. And, awesome job on the visual Rob! :)

Wheels do not need to be media blasted for the poweder coat to stick. They only need to be cleaned and free form dirt, wax or old paint. If the wheels had paint or a clear coating on them, then they should be blasted to get the paint off, but clean, un-coated metal wheels with powder-coat just fine.

I have been powder-coating my LeverLift/EZlift parts for about 6 years now and I don't blast anything.

...Rich