Possibly Moving to GA- Real Estate Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather Kudela

Reaction score
Anyone here from GA? My hubby is in the final stages of hire for the Atlanta PD and I'd like to start doing some homework on realestate in the area. He'll be working in the city but I'd like to live on the outskirts. Can someone direct me as to where to look? Anything 45min or less outside of the city would be great! Like I said I'm not farmilar with the area so if someone could point me in the right direction that'd be great! Subdivisions are preferred...thanks guys! ~ Heather soon to be not in NY:)

I live in Cumming, Ga. About 45 minutes north of Atlanta. Take 85 north to Hwy 400 north. The zip code is 30040. Cumming is a rural area, there are still many horse farms around and lots of local restaurants and shops. It's close enough to the city to visit but without alot of the trouble. Cumming is in Forsyth county which has relativly low property taxes and when I moved here 4 years ago it was the fastest growing county in the nation. Just south of Cumming is Alpharetta (30004). Alpharetta is is Fulton county (as is Atlanta) so property taxes are much higher, and as you move closer to the city property taxes continue to grow.

My wife, kids and I have really enjoyed living in Cumming. Schools are good and traffic is not too bad. The housing market is really good. You can't drive around a corner without seeing a new subdivision being built.

Go to realtor.com and serach by zip code. I can provide more zip codes and city names if you would like.

If you would like more info feel free to email me and I would be glad to help you out any way I can. [email protected]

Heather,

Try McDonough in Henry County, which is about 40 miles southeast of the Atlanta airport, or Peachtree City in Fayette County, about 35-40 miles south of Atlanta. If you like the idea of parking your car and taking your golf cart around town, Peachtree City is a great place, but it takes a little more effort to get to town from there. I live in Stockbridge so I don't know much about the north side of town, but Rich Stern lives in Lawrenceville and can tell you a lot more about that area.

Good luck with your search

Not I, but I think I can help...

My Agency that I work for has our Training Facility there. We have about 250 full time employees that work there. Every one of them had to move to the area. If you want, I'll contact the facility and see if someone is willing to talk to you???

Let me know...

I agree with Jim. Peachtree City is nice. Henry Co can give you more of a southern living lifestyle and still be close to the city. I used to live in Locust Grove just south of McDonough. Jackson lake is close and also some state parks. Either way it is a couple of minutes to the deep country or 20-30 mins to downtown ATL.

C

Heather, here's a <A href='http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/gainfo/gacountymap.htm' target=_new>county map</A> of Georgia.

Atlanta is in Fulton County, in the north central part of the state. The immediate surrounding counties like Gwinnett, Cobb, DeKalb, Clayton, Henry, etc., are all fairly crowded suburban counties. The next ring of counites, like Forsyth and Hall, are suburban transitioning to more rural.

Depending on your husband's shift at APD, commuting might be an issue. The counties south of Atlanta are a bit less crowded. Cobb, north Fulton, and Gwinnett are pretty busy.

Rush hour around here lasts from about 6:30 am to 9:30am and starts up again around 3:30 pm. Many folks have moved to GA in the last couple of decades, and the suburbs of Atlanta have been the destination of choice.

Is your husband committed to APD? Most of the surrounding county PDs are in desperate need of new officers. I live in Gwinnett County. My brother-in-law graduated from the Gwinnett police academy a little over a year ago. They can't graduate people fast enough to keep up with the growth. The pay is probably lower than APD, benefits are good, the department has a better reputation than APD, and the commuting issues go away.

You'll find housing prices are lower than most northeastern urban/suburban areas.

I moved to Georgia from the Boston area 14 years ago. I could probably make do anywhere, but I love it here. Southerners tend to be friendly and polite. It's become a bit of a melting pot, but is still a bit "kinder and gentler" than the northeast.

The schools have a bad rap from national testing scores, but many of the Atlanta suburban school systems are quite good. The Georgia lottery proceeds, by constitutional amendment, must be spent on scholarships and pre-K programs. Because of that ,college for many kids in Georgia has become very accessible.

Good luck with this. It was a wonderful, life-changing move for us. I hope it is for your family, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow guys thank you much for all the help. Rich I will look up the employment opportunities for Gwinnett PD...I am not a city person and would much rather live in a more country like setting. I'll be looking up a bunch of information on realestate today and I'll let you know what I find, thanks again guys!! ~ Heather:)

I have access to the FMLS website if you want to take a look at some of the homes currently on the market. Email me if you're interested and I'll send you the logon info.

I am in Barrow county, north and east of Rich. The area out here is very quiet, lots of farms, and very good deals on houses.

My wife works in Doraville, about 20 mins from Downtown ATL, and even in traffic, it only takes her 45 mins from here to be at work by 9:00.

That of course depends on accidents.

Heather, I logged into our Agency's site. They are looking for more employees at the facility.

I can't go into details here but if you'd like, email me and I'll give you some info.

It would be a federal job.

Let me know,,,,

I would highly recommend anywhere in Fayette County, zip codes 30215 and 30214. We've only got 6 cities, and 3 are very small (Peachtree City, Fayetteville, Tyrone, Wosley, Brooks, Senoia). Schools are some of the best in the country, lots of lakes, golfing, tennis, etc; traffic isn't a problem; homes are usually cheaper to get into down here, with large lots and old growth; great people and community; and crime is really, really low. The commute to ATL isn't bad, depending on what district he's put in.

I'd stay away from Clayton and Henry couties, both are over populated with a lot of traffic and headaches.

Hey, Jim Fomby is in da house! One of our founding members!

Heather, make sure you look at houses with spare bedrooms. You'll be surprised at how many of your friends and family from up north want to visit in the middle of winter, when it's 50 or 60 degrees here and 10 degrees back in NY.

I just looked at the Gwinnett PD recruiting web site. They need to hire 100 officers. Link below.

Georgia does not have much in Zillow.com yet. Was hoping it did as I will be selling my house soon.

Heather - what size house are you looking for I have a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath house in a nice location (in a somewhat of rural looking area - you pass horses coming in both ways - but in between two major highways 575/75 & 400) - Woodstock in Cherokee County.

Hit me with an email and I can give you more details of where it's at. I can also hook you up with a great realtor if you need one. She has found a condo for me, sold the same condo, & found my house as well as found a condo for a buddy.

Heather - I am opposite of your plan in that I live downtoan and work east of town on Conyers. My commute is a breeze! You are getting excellent advice from the folks on this site, as usual.

Ga is a great place to live if you love the outdoors.

Good luck and thank your husband in advance for me. If he is a patrol officer, he has a tough job. All patrol cops do. Let us know his beat and I bet a member on this board has an office or home that he and his partner could duck in for a cold Coke or hot coffee.

Hey, Heather...

I just wanted to reiterate what everyone said about Peachtree City. It's a great place to live and work, though the cost of living can be a little higher than some of the other areas. I've lived here all of my life, and currently work in Peachtree City. My wife is the office manager for a real estate office that handles most of the southside of Atlanta, including Henry County. If you need a real estate company out this way, feel free to email them. Their email is [email protected]. My wife is usually the one checking the mail, so tell her I sent you...

JayMcK

Heather Hi - I'm not quite that close in to the city, but I'll be glad to help in any way that I can. You might really like the Conyers, Lawrenceville, Covington side of town (East). I have been in the Real Estate business for nearly 30 years, and I know several good agents out East of the Perimeter. Call me if you like. Jim

www.buylakeoconeeonline.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts