portable generators

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always thought a PTO generator would be the way to go if you had a tractor to power it. I could think of a lot of uses for one of these babies!

Get a battery backed-up sump pump unit. It gets put in right next to your existing pump. It is better than a portable generator because:

1. It works as a backup should the power go out even if you are not home (a portable generator won't do that).

2. It works should your existing pump fail for whatever reason (a portable generator won't do that).

And, it will run off battery for about 2 days, which gives you time to get home and deal with your power issue in most cases...find, borrow a generator if needed at that time, or buy one if you think you really need one. But get the battery backup sump pump, regardless.

TJR

TJR,

what kind of maintenance is required for the battery back up sump pumps. If I don't need it for 5 years then all of a sudden it floods, how reliable would it be?

If you are on municipal water supply, the water-powered backup sump pump is the way to go. It will run forever pumping out the pit- you don't have to worry about the battery going bad. After you get tired of buying deep-cycle batteries every 3-5 years, and you get tired of the cheap charger/power packs burning out, you will be glad to have the water-powered kind. The battery-powered pumps are pretty wimpy, and the batteries don't last very long.

If you are on municipal water supply, the water-powered backup sump pump is the way to go. It will run forever pumping out the pit- you don't have to worry about the battery going bad. After you get tired of buying deep-cycle batteries every 3-5 years, and you get tired of the cheap charger/power packs burning out, you will be glad to have the water-powered kind. The battery-powered pumps are pretty wimpy, and the batteries don't last very long.

I am on a well, so maybe that wouldn't work so well...hehehe, get it? Anyway, I think I may just purchase a 4000w generator and hope I never need it, but if I do it's sitting there ready to go. Drag it out the walkout doors, dump a couple gallons of gas in it and start pumping

Freeport,

I have the system, have had it in place for 12 years, and am on my 3rd battery, so they do last about 5 years. Maintenance is simple; add distilled water to the batt when the electronic indicator beeps and flashes that it is low.

Yes, water powered would be a better bet if on municipal, but I thought your place was rural, freeport and if so then if you lose electric, you lose your water pump.

I bought my system at Home Depot.