Poping noise from front end

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Runals

Reaction score
Alright I have heard a popping noise from my front end generally when I'm turning and the wheel is turned all the way to one side, when I'm parking (so at low speeds), when I'm having to brake hard while driving at high speeds, sometimes when I go over a speed bump or a driveway curb. Others times its like when I'm pulling out of my parking spot and i'm turning the wheel.

Because of this I have taken it to the local shop they said it was my upper ball joints, ok had them replace. Issue was still there, then they said it was my entire rack and ping steering column, I thought "do what!" but ok had that replaced. Then the issue was still there! They said both the upper ball joints were defective and later they said the steering column they put on was defective ok got all new parts for free because the parts were under a year old. Now, 6 weeks later I'm hearing the same sound.

I should have posted up here first, but I trusted these guys because they have helped me out before and whatever. What do you guys think? Again its a popping noise coming directly from the front end when the wheel is turned, high and low speeds braking, and hitting soft bumps. I do have 115k miles on it which i think is pretty low for any of those parts to wear out. And the guy told me that the ball joints were aftermarket Moog so I find that hard to believe any Moog part could be defective.

Or dry steering stops. I've only heard them pop at full steering lock, at very low speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whew, they took you for a ride. End links most likely. $14.:banghead:

If that truly is the culprit, I suggest finding a new shop.

Also check the four upper control arm camber bolts since you had them replaced recently.

I had a nut come loose 1/8" on the passenger rear that caused a very loud pop. (98 ft/lb torque)

I thought it might have been the end links, I personally replaced them with Moog because the others were no good any more. I will check the bolts though for the control arm and the sway bar, Yeah I no longer trust these guys.

These make an awful metal grinding noise when dry. Any heavy waterproof grease will work.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the exact same thing happening on mine.........figured one of the frontend bushings was going out........ going to go home and check right now.

Latest posts