Plumber/Heater expert in the house ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Chatten

Reaction score
I have forced hot water furnace with baseboard heating. My second floor ( zone) is knocking/noisy when the heat comes on, so I will assume it is air in the system/zone. I know it is not hard to purge the air, but I cannot remember the exact steps.

1. Shut off finance

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

2. Do I shut off valve to boiler for the zone ( yellow ) to stop flow through boiler ?

3. Hook up hose and let it drain into a bucket until no bubbles or air is present ?

4. Turn valve back to off position

5. Turn back on furnace.

I have checked the expansion tank and it appears to be fine.

Am I missing anything ?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

I know you have to turn on the water feed into the boiler and watch the drain valve for the air bubbles. I had something like yours, but there was a valve that a type of damper on it the partially blocked the flow of water from one direction and the drain hose was hooked to that. You also have to watch the water pressure gauge on the boiler and not fill it too much.

Their is a device that goes on the output line of the boiler to seperate the air from the water so you don't get knocks and bangs. I have one but can't see a name on it anywhere and it has worked flawlessly for the last 11 years. Look into one, its called an air seperater or something. Your plumbing supply should be able to get one, its worth the couple hundred bucks for the peace and quiet in the house. Bob

Latest posts